Peppermint Shrimps harassing Tri Color Ricordea

RockStacker

Reefing newb
I added a Tri Color Ricordea to my tank about two weeks ago and it seemed to be adjusting fine.

However, lately I have noticed that two peppermint shrimps are hovering around the ricordea almost all the time. They used to be shy shrimp but now they don't seem to care if they are out in broad daylight.

The two shrimps would pick at the ricordea's body and tentacles. I am not sure if they are attacking the ricordea directly or if they are trying to steal food.
Either way, this is causing the ricordia to shrivel and secrete slime.

I will try to direct feed the peppermints more food and see if that would make them leave the ricordea alone. Maybe they are not getting enough food now that they are bigger.

I used to put a really small turkey baster in the tank with Brine in, and they just reach their arms in there and pull it out. They have massively long arms! haha
My peppermint never touched any corals. But they sometimes get mistaken for camel shrimp, which may bother coral.

+1 Waddi

They may also be eating the slime, which is a defense mechanism for to coral, which cause the coral to make more slime, which causes them to bother it more and on it goes. Try moving the coral away from their spot.

Thanks everyone. I will rig up some sort of enclosure where water can flow through but the shrimps cannot get in.
The past two days the peppermints are hanging out constantly just a few inches under the little ricordea like they are waiting for lunch to get served or something.

The shrimps never bother the zoas and palys though, but I guess that is because the shrimps know those could kill them. :)

Back