Pequeña!

Pipes do fine in a regular reef tank!! You don't need an extra tank to keep those, at least. :)

Well thats what the guy at the LFS also said but of course theirs are in a sea horse tank so I dont trust nothing they say.

I also have those 2 condy anemones and didnt think they would be ok in there with them.

I sit and stare at theirs the whole time they are filling up my water buckets they have a mated dragon face pair that are so adorable and eat frozen really well.

My pipe is in my reef with lots of corals. He does okay. Pipes are not as delicate or sensitive as seahorses when it comes to their habitat requirements.

This is my guy, Sig:

DSC_0063-1.jpg

DSC_0054-3.jpg

I do not have anemones -- that is a valid concern for you!

Yeah I did a lot of research on them and figured that would be an issue. I do want to try my hand at seahorses though so I am just going to wait it out and get a nice tall tank just for horses and pipes so they will be safe.

Week Two!

Despite having his OWN new tank I still have not seen a glimpse of the popping monster in my rocks! I dont understand why mine is hiding and everyone else's comes out for photo shoots :grumble:

Week 2

IMG_0286 by sungirlamber, on Flickr

Sponge

IMG_0283 by sungirlamber, on Flickr

This reminds me of the scene in NeverEnding story where he has to cross that desert where all the bones were of those that didnt make it LOL

IMG_0271 by sungirlamber, on Flickr

Tunicates

IMG_0267 by sungirlamber, on Flickr

New sponge growth right on the rock!!

IMG_0262 by sungirlamber, on Flickr

Well the culprit has been caught! Turns out it was TWO pistols shrimps!

IMG_0349 by sungirlamber, on Flickr

Here is what I did to catch these pistol shrimps and crabs...

1. I refrigerated a 1g bucket of salt water over night it was about 43 degrees this morning.

2. I put one of the live rocks in an empty 5g tank and slowly poured the cold water into the holes of the rocks. (As the critters jumped out I scooped them out with a spoon and put them into waiting warm water from their tank.

I had 1 cup for OK critters and 1 cup for unwanted critters.

I ended up with 1 porcelain crab and about 7 various other unknown crabs and 2 pistol shrimps. The one in the picture is about half an inch maybe the other one is so tiny I couldnt even get the camera to focus on it.

All the creatures are I guess in shock right now. I thought the bigger pistol was dead but he started twitching and is now right side up again. The little one has not stop popping yet he is a bitchy little thing.

Actually broke this tank down and added all the live rock to my main tank.

But guess what! I still hear random pops! I think there is still another one in the freaking rock and now it's in my main tank! Grrr I am so mad right now.

I will never by live rocks from the ocean again!

Ok guys I have taken all my new rocks BACK out of my DT and put them back in the 5g.
One by one I am taking them out and putting them in a bucket and waiting to hear the click of the shrimp.

I have eliminated them down to one rock that the pistol is in. (although I swear to santa I still hear a pop in the main tank :frustrat:)

I am ready to extract him and want to be gentle as the super cold water last time seemed to put them into shock.

Which do you think is better to do

A. Cold saltwater dip but not 40 degrees like last time. Maybe 60 degrees???
Or
B. A freshwater dip at the aquarium temperature?

Back