PETCO is selling corals

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I know people have ridiculed the knowledge of petco employees on marine tanks BUT I may just give them a try. They have good prices and hard to find corals like purple deaths and bright red mushrooms. It appears their supplier is A&M aquatics.

We bought our Diamond Watchman Goby & one of our Chromis there, still have them many months later :) Never bought any corals from them, but we did buy a piece of LR with a free mushroom on it, it's had 3 babies and still doing good. We got them in-store, haven't ordered from the website.

I still have the mushroom rock I got from Petco when I got into the hobby. I really think that its a store to store thing. Some stores keep up the saltwater section better than others. As far as price goes, I don't think the prices at the one near me are all that great. I stopped dropping in there because they always had standard stuff that didn't look terribly healthy - and my LFS has better stock at a better price. Your milage may vary

The purple deaths are not easy to find.

Purple Death Palythoa Polyps (Aquacultured A&M Aquatics) at PETCO

1528637C.jpg

Yeah our petco near me started selling them a while back. I'm there a lot because they're the closest that sell the right brand of fish food to me (their fish food is fresher than the one in petsmart -- theirs is always covered in layers of frost)

I'm fowlr, otherwise I wouldn't have minded corals from them. Their frag tanks look way better than their fish tanks LOL

last time I was in a Petco near me half of the frags were out of water because it looked like they hadn't topped off in a week. It definitely is store to store though, I was traveling for work and stopped in to one just because I was killing time and was very impressed. Naturally I couldn't get anything though because of the travel time back to home.

The problem I have with petco in my area is they just dont care enough i guess. Or they hire people that don't know what they are doing. Anytime i go, the fish always have ich on them, thanks are always dirty. the coral tank is nasty looking hard to imagine that coral live in that tank. The one pro is they do always have good prices on fish or good Pals prices. and as long as the fish does not have ich you will be ok i guess.

I was actually thinking about ordering online.

the problem with online is you just don't know what your going to get. things my be smaller then you are expecting, not sure how they care for there live stock. and if they will even make the shipping process.

I was actually going to try and get a part-time job at the petco near me, because the people that work in the fish/coral section are pot heads that have no clue what they're doing. Always see dead fish and corals that are on their last breath covered in hair algae

The problem I have with petco in my area is they just dont care enough i guess. Or they hire people that don't know what they are doing. Anytime i go, the fish always have ich on them, thanks are always dirty. the coral tank is nasty looking hard to imagine that coral live in that tank. The one pro is they do always have good prices on fish or good Pals prices. and as long as the fish does not have ich you will be ok i guess.

I was thinking about ordering only their corals as their supplier seems pretty good. I saw some 6-lines at a Petco once and they looked sick.

We have a Petco here and and they have a decent selection of saltwater supplies and they have one tank with frags and a couple tanks with fish. My only issue is some things at our petco are really overpriced. I bought a Coralife super skimmer 65 and it was $139.99 on sale at Petco. Same skimmer is $89.99 on Amazon. I guess things are cheaper online sometimes. As far as fish or corals and stuff I think Petco is no different than any other fish store as far as quality of livestock. I always try to pick the best looking fish or thing I can and if it doesn't look ok in the tank I don't get it.

I would think that ordering online would be ok. Petco is more then likely just a middle man and the coral would be sent straight from the supplier.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This is what My Petco's tanks look like.

Attachments

• 2013-02-09_15.25.53[1].jpg
    2013-02-09_15.25.53[1].jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 419
  • 2013-02-09_15.27.15.jpg
    2013-02-09_15.27.15.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 410
  • 2013-02-09_15.26.10.jpg
    2013-02-09_15.26.10.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Ya some of the stores get pretty bad...You would think they would hire people that actually like saltwater fish/reefs and have at least some clue of what to do with the tanks.

Back