Petco Sale

I never buy any fish for my tank at petco (i did once)
All their fish are covered in ich last time i went
and the last fish I got there years ago made a lot of my other fish sick :/ I lost a few fish then
If you do want a fish from there I recommend that you have a quarantine tank

Ill be honest I have no idea who my fish guys whole saler is, however knowing the LFS I go to, and the guy who has his whole sale license so he can buy from them.....I doubt they are getting anything that was obtained illegally.

My local Petco's fish all look sickly and covered in ich. Their clowns are huge, but look very pale, rather than vibrant.

What i dislike about petco/petsmart are the wholesalers that they buy their fish from. The wholesaler buys fish that are often collect in inhumane ways that damage the reef, they over collect and collect from areas that are suppose to be off limits, and they dont take care of the fish that have, so the mortality is out of control at their facilities. But because they are often bought on black market prices and have little care at the holding facilities they can sell their livestock at the lowest price, which is why petco/petsmart buy from them.

check out this thread for more info about this:
https://www.livingreefs.com/aquariums-t36764.html

Petsmart doesn't sell saltwater fish... and the majority (if not all) of the freshwater fish come from breeding facilities (which may not be the best conditions... but you take what you can get).

There are 2 petco's by me that sell saltwater friends. one the place is nice tanks look well kept. and is in a more country area the other is here by my work in Albany and looks like crap and poorly kept if any thing were to be bought from the Albany shop I'd QT it right quick and talk them down in price... it is animal cruelty how they treat there saltwater friends yet the dogs and cats and other animals and there areas are well kept. I don't get it how a place can be so damn negligent to there fish friends. but as for all my LFS's here such as davey jones, coral king, eddies, mcmurphys, swampbottom I can trust them do to there QT center they have and how things are in there shops CLEAN and daily posting of pram's at some of them.

Back