petco

As someone who used to work at a PetSmart, I think it depends on who they have working there. If it's a bunch of high school kids who don't know anything, of course you're not going to have the same kind of care as a local hobbyist who wanted the job specifically to work with the fish. The Petco near here has really nice tanks and the older guy that works there seems to know his stuff IME. The young kid tends to lean more towards the "if you don't know the answer, make it up" mentality.

There's also a Pet Supplies Plus that's near here that's a smaller chain and I LOVE the guys who work there. Their tanks are beautiful and they all have SW tanks.

I still tend to lean more towards buying livestock from LFS because of selection, price, and supporting local business.

I go there. However, I have 2 girls that I work with in there. One loves my son, and the other wants to wakeboard with us.
Shame on you, useing your son like a chick magenet...:shock: Wait a min I used to do the same thing...:Cheers::mrgreen:.

I have to defend my Local Petco on this one.

The manager owns 5 saltwater tanks of his own. Nice guy. Absolutly nobody there is just interested in selling you something. I've had the manager and other employees try to talk me out of spending quite a bit of money here and there. The manager is especially bright He even remebered how old my tank was and a couple months later when I came to buy a scooter blenny warned me it might not be a good idea.

The local petland on the other hand...my girlfriend works there. And the things she tells me she is instructed to do and tell people just boggles my mind. Its not her fault..she's just trying to make a living.

yeah sounds like there are good ones out there just ask them lots of questions and see how they respond. the one down here is just pathetic the fish are in a constant state of panic cause theres no place to hide and tons of kids to beat on the glass day in and day out.

It depends on the management, really. One Petco near me is absolutely horrible, I've never seen a fish in there that doesn't have ich, but the other near me is actually pretty good, I got my two clowns from there, and they're still doing well after a couple months.

To me, a LFS is a local store that is owned by someone who actually works in the store.

I find most of the petcos around here to be horrible. When I bought my bearded dragon from one they had them on calcium carbonate substrate and they feed them nothing but mealworms. Both of which are BIG no no's for baby beardies and can lead to impaction. I go back usually once a week and they have the same tankmates that mine was with and he's twice their size now, they look all skinny and lethargic.

I go there. Ken is over priced on alot of his corals though. However, I have 2 girls that I work with in there. One loves my son, and the other wants to wakeboard with us. Needless to say, I get better deals with then than with anyone else.

he is pretty overpriced on things :C I bought my little coralife light there for $180 and then found the same thing at petco for $70 Dx but my mandrin I got from there ate frozen food and they are pretty helpful when it comes to me asking all my questions

Back