PH and Alk levels?

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I've had my MH's off for a couple of hrs today (PC's are still on). I jsut cleaned my algae scrubber and decided to test my parameters...Specifically trates, Alk, PH. Before we start freaking out.

1. I'm doing a water change tomorrow.
2. I normally check my water with the MH's on.

Nitrates. O
PH 8.3
Alk Low probably around 1.

I use the Red-Sea liquid test and have been happy with them, so I don't think it's the test.

One other thing, I just thought of, when I did a water change last time, I didn't like the looks of my water barrel so I wiped it out with vinegar. I thoroughly rinsed it, but maybe had some residew?

I'm usually right where I need to be. The only thing that happened today, is that I turned on my water top off, I got tied up on the phone with a customer and ended up putting in about 20g of RO/DI (what a dumbass) water. Which obviously lowered my salinity from 1.25 to 1.22.

Could this be the cause of the low alk test? My numbers are always consistent.

I'm not freaking out, (and neither are my fish or corals) I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, and start to slowly raise the salinity back to where it needs to be..

Stop laughing, you know you've done it too!:D I'm such a terd.

Last edited:
:DI know you're online...I can see your names on the bottom of the page!:D

Test Test...Is this thing on?

Ok. Something has obviously happened to this thread. Even if I post. It doesn't go to the top of the list..Re-posting.

Ohhh you can see it..I thought something was wrong with my post. It wouldnt' go to the top of the page.

See there is something wrong with the post...It doesn't register that anybody has looked at it..Re-posting.

PH and ALK Levels

I've had my MH's off for a couple of hrs today (PC's are still on). I jsut cleaned my algae scrubber and decided to test my parameters...Specifically trates, Alk, PH. Before we start freaking out.

1. I'm doing a water change tomorrow.
2. I normally check my water with the MH's on.

Nitrates. O
PH 8.3
Alk Low probably around 1.

I use the Red-Sea liquid test and have been happy with them, so I don't think it's the test.

One other thing, I just thought of, when I did a water change last time, I didn't like the looks of my water barrel so I wiped it out with vinegar. I thoroughly rinsed it, but maybe had some residew?

I'm usually right where I need to be. The only thing that happened today, is that I turned on my water top off, I got tied up on the phone with a customer and ended up putting in about 20g of RO/DI (what a dumbass) water. Which obviously lowered my salinity from 1.25 to 1.22.

Could this be the cause of the low alk test? My numbers are always consistent.

I'm not freaking out, (and neither are my fish or corals) I'm going to do a water change tomorrow, and start to slowly raise the salinity back to where it needs to be..

Stop laughing, you know you've done it too!:grin: I'm such a terd.

Re: PH and ALK Levels

HAHAHAH

Who hasnt? :D

I'd say that it was the lowed salinity that lowed your alkalinity.The more salt the water has in it,the more calcium and alkalinity it has,or is supposed to have.

What was your alk before?
I say it's a testing error. It's pretty hard, if not impossible to get alk that low.

maybe hes not measuring dkh?
what scale are you on?

and alk quantifys the stability of your ph. so if your alk was that low you would see a lot of change through the day and the night.

CCapt. called it....I measured it wrong. Like a dumbass. Everythings normal..I used 6ml rather than 10ml to test it..I looked at the PH test and filled it, but tested Alk...Duh.

I'm tired.

Back