PH Problems

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
Ok so the last couple of times I tested my PH it was really low last week it was probably about 7.5 and today I just tesed and it was so yellow I would guess its less than 7!!

I have the marine buffer and since last time I used it I killed my firefish I decided to only use a half dose by mixing it in the cup of water and I poured in HALF the cup and was going to do another half cup in a few hours to prevent shock.

I went ahead and retested the water about 5 minutes later and its 8.3! WTF

I am terrified that all my animals are going to be in shock from going from 7 to 8.3 in 5 minutes.

It says on the bottle that it will raise the PH slowly and safely but how is 5 minutes slow and safe?

If it had been 7.8 I would have left it but since last week it went from slightly lower than 7.8 to completely pale yellow like it had NO PH at all.

eeek! I hope they pull through.

But what is your alk, calcium and mag levels? If they are out of whack it can be almost impossible to get your pH at the right spot.

eeek! I hope they pull through.

But what is your alk, calcium and mag levels? If they are out of whack it can be almost impossible to get your pH at the right spot.

Calcium is 420
Alk is 10
Nitrates 15
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

My reef kit does not have a mag test is that something you buy separate?

It appears that my other levels are within rage so why on earth is my PH dropping so much? I get my water from my LFS.

Are you letting it all mix in and taking a sample from say bottom hand corner of the tank?? Just offering suggestions!! ;)

Hmm I dont know about that I have a lot of flow in my tank so it should be mixed up pretty good. Its been slowly going from 7.8 down to practically nothing over the last few weeks.

I hate using chemicals to increase it and said I wouldn't use it again after what happened last time but it was off the chart low.

Are you sure your test kit is correct? I would buy a second kit and double check your readings before you make any drastic changes. Or get it double checked at the LFS.

I dont think its the test kit it went from pale yellow to perfect purple after adding the marine buffer so I know it works.

My worry is that that for some reason my PH keeps going back down. I guess I can just make it part of my regular routine to add the buffer to my fresh water for top offs but I just hate being dependent totally on extra chemicals.

So far all the fish and everything seem to be fine I am glad I didnt use the full dose though.

Back