pH swing

andersoned14

Reefing newb
I got an Apex controller the other week. Now I watch the ph and temp all the time. This has most likely been going on for ever and I should not worry about it. Just wondering what you guys think is ok for a temp and pH swing. Mine goes between 77-77.5 and the pH is from 8.22-8.07. From midnight till noon it drops then back up by midnight. Follows the light pattern and I do run my sump lights oppisite of the DT light.:dunno:

I think most will say to run the fuge lighting opposite the DT to help combat this. Little_fish has explained this in the past but I can't remember what the reason is?

The reason for the upswing in PH during the day is because of the uptake of CO2 which raises the PH at night it is the opposite and the CO2 is actually formed .. Running the fuge lights at night with any chaeto in the refugium ( or other plants) Helps to keep the plants photosynthesising which helps keep the system more stable.. I run my fuge with an overlap so to try and keep the process rolling..
That temp is fine...

pH fluctuates through the day. The net consumption of carbon dioxide during the daylight hours, leads to some aquariums to become deficient in CO2 during the day, and the pH rises.If you are having dramatic fluctuations you can aerate the aquarium water to degass excess carbon dioxide. Also try using a salt mix with a naturally higher buffering capacity like Tropic Marin or add buffer to raise your alkalinity to help reduced the pH swings.

Back