Phosphate problems

algy1943

Reefing newb
My reef tank seems healthy, corals growing great, fish seem healthy, water parameters ok except for phosphates which are very high, how can I get it down, I am doing 20% water changes weekly, I am also using Red Sea No3o4X at 7.5ml per 50gallons anyone got any other suggestions? Please :frustrat:

You can start by running GFO. In a reactor is the best way, but it can be bagged and placed in a med to high flow area. ROWAphos is the best brand *I* have used. There are a lot of different ones out there though and you need to choose for yourself.

Also, cut back on your feeding. What are you feeding? Dry "flake" and "pellet" foods can cause PO4 to skyrocket! A good frozen food 3 or 4 times a week is best.

If not, start running RODI water for your mix. Test mix water to make sure it is not PO4 high.

Hope some of this helps.

I posted in your other nitrate thread, but I'll post here too - I think your phosphates are caused by feeding too much. Cut down to feeding only once every other day and only corals once a week at most. According to your other post right now you are feeding frozen twice a day plus cyclopeeze and reef snow for your corals - that's a lot of food and you don't need to feed that much! And, as I said in your other thread, try something more nutritious than brine shrimp!

Edit: According to your other thread, you also have 16 fish in a 65g tank, two of which are tangs - you are bound to run into all sorts of problems with that mix, and nitrates and phosphates might soon be the least of your concerns!

Last edited:
A fuge with cheato, if big enough, if it has flow strong enough, if it has light strong enough (2 florescent bulbs) can get phosphates to zero.

NF, what kind of rocks do you have? I wonder if your rocks are leaching PO4? I know its a less common reason, but given everything you've tried in your tank I can't help but wonder if rocks could be the source for you....

Your choices to get rid of phosphates are phosphate reactor or fuge with lots of cheato.

Even with a 125W 6700K lamp my Chaeto still dies and my phosphates are way too high , I am also using Red Sea No3 Po4 at the rate prescribed in the documents that came in the box I am getting really worried , what shall I do next ????????

I think chaeto likes its light between 6000k and 6500k, you light might be to intense for it. I use 6500k on mine and its growing like crazy now.

Your choices to get rid of phosphates are phosphate reactor or fuge with lots of cheato.

I don't seem to be able to keep Chaeto alive , I have a 6500k bulb and the Chaeto is floating above live rock a good water flow , the light is kept on 6pm to 6am , can anyone tell me why my Chaeto dies I have had at least 6 batches and all have died

A fuge with cheato, if big enough, if it has flow strong enough, if it has light strong enough (2 florescent bulbs) can get phosphates to zero.

Hi sen524 1b, I just cannot keep my Chaeto alive, I have a good flow in my sump and the lamp is cfs 6500k , but it keeps on withering away to nothing, I have purchased several bunches of Chaeto from reliable lfs but with no success, HELP :frustrat:

Last edited:
What are your nitrates at? I don't think the light has anything to do with it.

Hi Sarah, my nitrates are down to 5 (tested by my coral supplier) but she found my Phosphates were dangerously high, to help to get it down they suggested that I purchase (not from them) Red Sea No3 Po4:X it comes in a 500 ml and the recommended dose per day is 3ml per 100L so far no reduction has been noticed, been using for 2 weeks now , what do you think on best way to get the phosphates down to an acceptable level , if I can get it down my parameters should all be normal
Ps how's Alison doing :^:

Phosphate problem

Despite having used half of the 500ml of No3:Po4 X my phosphate is still reading 5 using my Hagen water testing kit , I have not been over feeding the fish in fact I only feed them half a frozen cube of either my sis or brine shrimp and its all eaten within a couple of minutes , all other parameters are normal :frustrat:

I have had no success with Chaeto it just will not survive in my sump , plenty of movement and a bulb 6500k , what is the answer to keeping Chaeto alive ?

Back