phosphates too high?

salt01

Reefing newb
So my phos is registering .16-.08 and hair algea still there abit. bout 1/4 inch now. im about to change my media in my reactor but unsure if this range is too high still. i want to shoot for 0 but my tank just seems to still want to hold at that even after water changes and the use of red seas no3po4x. nitrates 0 but phos still a pain. any suggestions on good media besides ferric oxide. put cheato in sump to try and help now.

yes i have ro unit. replaced all 3 cart. 3 months ago. ro water reg 0 but when i add salt it registers .08. i am using instant ocean reef crystals. i am going to replace the carbon and the reg filter tomorrow but shouldnt the TFC one still be good tho. 24gpd

Hmmm... maybe try a salifert test kit and compare. I never use Instant Ocean but I can't see it having phosphates in it. Carbon won't do anything to lower phosphate , what type of GFO do you use and what reactor?

i used phosban and a phosban reactor with carbon pellets mixed. the phosban has been in there for 2 and a half months tho. i am replacing the media today but was wondering what a good brand would be for phosphates. Also i used to use red sea salt but everything was really high ie cal,dkh,and mg so i wanted to just go with readings of 420calc. 8dkh and 1300mag and go with basic salt so still unsure bout the salt

Roa phos is good. I would do separate reactors for the media but that's just me and I favor oceanic salt. But again, that's just me. Your phosphate media has most likely been in there too long. Usually 1 month is the longest I would run it. 3 week change out is the norm for me. I am still curious why phosphate would rise as soon as you add the salt.

Back