Photo Class Homework

I like the water droplet and the bridge pictures the best because of the colors and modern look.

I have always loved the monsoons here in the Southwest and the lighting storms.

I love to travel too.

Why do I like them. I think the one thing I like in pictures is seeing the details of the picture. You can sit and stare at a photo and see or notice so much more than you would usually notice just by looking at the scene. I love it when all the details pop out of the photo.

Last edited:
Ok here are my pics. Nothing so dramatic as Biff. I guess I kinda like the artsy stuff. These are just soothing to me. I have a few oil paintings I have had since before I got married they are both of sailing ships. The whole maritime thing works for me. The last is another passion castles. Who doesnt like castles?

Attachments

• 65045MajesticLighthouse.jpg
    65045MajesticLighthouse.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 239
  • _41111442_01_egypt_borthwick.jpg
    _41111442_01_egypt_borthwick.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 3011792360_c63bd91ee8.jpg
    3011792360_c63bd91ee8.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
David, your shots seem to have strong angles that draw the viewer into the picture. You chose pictures that take you into the scene. Travel photographer would be my best guess for you. When you start shooting your tank, you'll be able to use these strong angles to take your viewers on a journey into your tank. In art the Chinese landscape paintings do this. These artists wanted to take their viewers on a journey too! If you look closely at this image, you'll see that there is an open place in the front of the picture for the viewer to "enter" the landscape. You'll find a path complete with little benches and houses to stop along the way.

p103a.jpg

Ah, but I digress.... David, you'll benefit from the compositional stuff we're going to do at the beginning of class we will learn the techniques that help us take our viewers on a journey.

C

Ted,

Your shots all have a sense of mystery and drama to them. You chose images with strong subjects. I tend to do this too, I'll bet you love macro shots!

Catherine

I too, like Biff have chosen shots that have burned deep into my memory, and stir emotion. I am intrigued by the first half of our last century, and there seem to be so many spactaular moments (some great, some not so) caught on film.

migrantmother.jpg

This picture is of a 32 year old migrant mother here in California. It was taken by a woman by the name of Dorothea Lange in Feb. or March of 1936. She is probably better known for the next photo:

migmoth.jpg

Both photos to me show the stripped human spirt. The dispare that comes with life, and the everyday struggle of the human spirit at a time when hope seems lost. While sad to see for me, they are amazing photos of one moment in American history.

USSArizona.jpg

The USS Arizona ablaze on December 7, 1941. The "sudden and deliberate" attack on a Sunday morning that brought this country into a war that was not our own, but also was the stepping stone to bring the country out of the Great Depression. Pearl Harbor holds a giant piece of my heart. Every time I am on the island I go to the memorial, usually spending a good part of the day there.

Ali.jpg

One of my all time favorite pictures. Ali standing over a beaten Sonny Liston. Ali was not supposed to win this fight. To me he not only wants to prove he can win, but wants to destroy Liston to prove himself. Ali for the first half of his career was not the most loved boxer. He was arogant, cocky and mouthy. The country had no place in the "gentelmans sport" for that such attitude. I see every pent up emotion leaving the body of Ali in this photo.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0817441816/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography (Updated Edition) (9780817441814): Bryan Peterson: Books[/ame]

I've got a chatroom for us but I don't have my website up and running yet. Check here tomorrow before class and if I have it working then we'll use it, probably, we will be in the LR chatroom.

If you're casually lurking through the class tomorrow's discussion will be important!

If you don't have a book yet, you're ok for now but you'll need it soon!

Catherine

I really think a recordable audible chat with a separate chat window for text and questions as the class is in progress would be the best for the most information being delivered. Catherine, I will not push for it this week but Ill pm you because I have a great idea that should work great. I have been looking into it.

ok and for my homework. I have chosen 2 pictures of Antarctica that I LOVE. why does this make my heart sing? because I have a secret obsession with Antarctica and one day will make it down there.

antarctic_ice_03.jpg

I have always loved pictures that show above and below water like this!

iceberg.jpg

The third picture I have chosen is a photo by a good friend of mine that taught me a lot of what I currently know about photography. I owe a lot of what I know to him.

here is the link as his url is unavailable for the individual image for copy write prevention.... or whatever.

Hello there.... on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
spaceball.gif

I really think a recordable audible chat with a separate chat window for text and questions as the class is in progress would be the best for the most information being delivered. Catherine, I will not push for it this week but Ill pm you because I have a great idea that should work great. I have been looking into it.

I'm very interested, Alexander! Thanks!

Catherine

Sorry, Alexander,

You picked some interesting shots and normally I would start pointing you towards a photoshop class but since you said these are shots of a place that you love and want to visit, I'm thinking travel photographer? What do you think?

Catherine

Sorry, Alexander,

You picked some interesting shots and normally I would start pointing you towards a photoshop class but since you said these are shots of a place that you love and want to visit, I'm thinking travel photographer? What do you think?

Catherine

I really love outdoor photography. wildlife, macro, and scenery like sunrises, susets and starry skies!

Why photoshop?

Good, I'm often wrong about my thoughts in these initial assessments. We will still learn a lot about where your personal style lies.

See you in class tonight!

Catherine

Back