Photo Class Homework

week 1 homework.

puppy.jpg

I like this photo because it expresses pure joy, to me. That little dog has got to be the most joyful creature on earth... and also one of the most determined!

little_sunrise_by_werol.jpg

This shot really interests me because it's a totally different way of seeing something that, while beautiful, is fairly commonplace.

Cold_and_Alone_by_MarcAdamus.jpg

My final image is titled "cold and alone' but that's far from how it makes me feel. I see the crack in the ice, and it looks like a pathway towards a beautiful sunrise. I find it a very inspiring photo.

Photo Class Homework:

Pages 88-95 in your book

And
Find 2 images either ones you have taken or ones on the web somewhere and crop them so that the main subject is in a quadrant. Photobucket has a very easy crop tool you can use if you don’t have editing software.

And
Take 2 pictures and place your main subject in a quadrant. Try to make an angle that draws your viewer into your picture.

Or
Take 2 pictures of the same subject. In the first picture take your main subject and put it in the middle of your frame. For the second picture, position your the same subject in a quadrant and try to create an angle to draw your viewer in.

Have fun!

Photo Class Homework:

Find 2 images either ones you have taken or ones on the web somewhere and crop them so that the main subject is in a quadrant. Photobucket has a very easy crop tool you can use if you don’t have editing software.

DoingDylan.jpg

BeingKaleb-1.jpg

Take 2 pictures of the same subject. In the first picture take your main subject and put it in the middle of your frame. For the second picture, position your the same subject in a quadrant and try to create an angle to draw your viewer in.

I'll get back to you on that one! ;-)

Cool photos andysgirl. I like the first one the best. I have one pic already and was really excited to post it but am probably going to hit the outdoors for my other pics tomorrow.

Homework
The Grid
Part 1

here are the photos I chose to use that were pictures I did not take but I cropped them the appropriate area.

20100108-Snipe.jpg

20100108-Snipe-2.jpg

20100210-squirrel.jpg

20100210-squirrel-2.jpg

Homework
The Grid
Part 2

OK so these are pictures I took centered, then re framed the shot and took a second photo of them properly placed in the grid. (with the exception of the first one, its just cropped) I had a really bad block today and went out to take photos and couldnt really leave far from home, but it was like writers block (with a camera) I just couldnt find anything to shoot! so I came up with these.

#1 The old lady longboarding

20100210-DSC_0162.jpg

20100210-DSC_0162-2.jpg

#2. Broke ass harmonica I found on the road. (took the picture while moving :) )

20100210-DSC_0169.jpg

20100210-DSC_0168.jpg

#3. random kid toy

20100210-DSC_0174.jpg

20100210-DSC_0175.jpg

#4. candle (thanks RyanG)

20100210-DSC_0180.jpg

20100210-DSC_0182.jpg

Homework
The Grid
Part 3

Here are some recent photos I have taken this moth that show the subject matter in a visually pleasing spot. ENJOY!

1. Ill try to keep photos throughout class non salty, but this one seemed to work for the assignment. Just keep swimming!

20100120-DSC_0096.jpg

2. Blah Blah Blah on the phone.

20100120-DSC_0063.jpg

3. Whatcha got there?

life sure is tough when you have 4 legs and not one leg is able to get some annoying piece of ... well whatever that is off of your beard.

DSC_0067-3.jpg

4. Hands off the tripod boy!

DSC_0010-1.jpg

I hope this was not overkill on the assignment. I don't want to overwhelm with pictures.

I like the dog pic alex. He so has the "Are you sure it was me digging at the carpet?" look. My in-laws dog has that same look when hes got one of your shoes in his mouth

I had a really bad block today and went out to take photos and couldnt really leave far from home, but it was like writers block (with a camera) I just couldnt find anything to shoot!

Yeah! What a great way to phrase it! I know exactly what you mean!

Nice photos, Alexander, I also like the little dog, although my son thought the little soldier on the skateboard was pretty cool too. :)

Tanked,
If you look at all of your pictures together, they show a sense of optimism or joy. Could be you were just in a good mood, or it could be that you're an idea person. If you're an idea person, you'll be looking at taking pictures that tell stories or express ideas, that's photography as a fine art or photojournalism. Composition will help you bring your vision out!

C

Homework
The Grid
Part 1

20100210-squirrel.jpg

20100210-squirrel-2.jpg

[/SIZE]

Alexander, You chose to position the squirrel in the bottom left quadrant which seems to help the composition. I think you would have a better shot if you positioned the main subject in the bottom right quadrant instead. When you do that, you create a strong diagonal from the bottom right to the top left. You included the shape of the tail which I think is important because it stops the eye from going off the frame completely. What do you think of this crop?
4348298265_aece4fc6c9.jpg

When you've got an animal usually you want to try to put the eye or the face in a quadrant. Alexander, re-crop the bird shot and see what you can do to create a diagonal. Remember, you can rotate the image if you need to.

c

Alexander, I think your candle shot is great but can you do more to that shot to make a diagonal in the frame? You should be able to crop it differently. The army guy is good but be careful when you place something in the quadrant that you don't remove important information. I think cutting off the skateboard hurts the image? Try re-cropping the first shot on the skateboard too. If you're going to make it look like she is in the distance then you should put her in the back right with a camera angle from the bottom left. I think you can do that with a crop, or can you re shoot her?

C

Andysgirl, would you please show me the shots before you cropped? The idea was to take a shot that starts off centered and then change it only with cropping.

Thanks,
C

Alexander, your shot of the fish, try cropping it with him in a quadrant on the left. When you put a moving subject on the right it looks like he's swimming out of your shot and visually it creates a bit of tension. Was that what you were going for?

the shot on the phone is a winner! Great crop!

Your dog shot is adorable but I think you can make it better. Try placing the right eye closer to the quadrant, does that make it better? The same with the FABULOUS shot of your son. Think about where the eye wants to fall on his face first, which is usually the eyes, then try centering the eyes on a quadrant. You're close. I might be wrong here but give it a shot, it might help make it go from great to stunning.

C

Ok, here is my centered shot:

wintersentries002.jpg

And here is my grid shot:
wintersentries002crop.jpg

I also caught some action shots of the local residents. Here is my before cropping:

flightofthebirds002.jpg

And my crop-to-grid shot:

flightofthebirds002crop.jpg

Here is my before cropping:
flightofthebirds004.jpg

flightofthebirds004crop.jpg

Here is my before cropping:
flightofthebirds003.jpg

flightofthebirds003crop.jpg

And I just liked how this one turned out :^:
wintersentries.jpg

Great photos andys girl! My fav was the first duck picture! All great pictures.

To me the first shot of the tree is a good example of what we are doing because the second pic is way more visually pleasing. But we shall wait and see what C says!

Thanks Ryan! They just happened to be coming in for a landing and they didn't realize I was behind the tree. A fortuitous moment, for sure!

Back