Picture of the day.

Spiders are so cool! Especially that one. Love the hair!

10-29027.jpg

Love the garden spiders, Alex! Have several of them around my yard right now. So fun to sit and watch. They are SO fast when something touches their web. They have it wrapped up and pacified faster than any other spider I have watched.

Looks totally different in that photo. How did it end up on the ground? Is it one tat eats the web it made the evening before, and then moves to a different location?? Beautiful creature. And wonderfully captured, I must say.
The photo I posted is of a spider that eats its web and makes a new one in almost the same spot every night. It hides in a slightly displaced piece of plywood on the cieling of my porch during the day.

Here is another facinating carnavore. This was taken last year during the annual lady bug die out. I have several more photos of him munching away on half dead ladybugs. Focus is a little off, please excuse:

10-29008.jpg

Last edited:
I have a project that's waiting to get finished in the carport, and he had his web strung up in the corner of it. Shortly after I took the first few pictures, he left his web and started crawling on the wood above him. Not sure where he went off to. In the picture above, he's standing on a 2x6. He's super tiny, no bigger than the head of a ballpoint pen.

Rat Snakes are non-venomous, in fact there aren't many venomous snakes in the US. Most snakes calm down once you're holding them in a way they are comfortable. He bit me once. I pinned his head, got him up and held him for a minute until he calmded down. once they realize you're not a threat (and your hand is nice and warm) they usally chill out. When I catch snakes I enjoy them for 10 minutes and then back into the wild.

Back