Pistol shrimp stuck?

Nic

Reefing newb
So I bought a pistol shrimp on Saturday and I haven't seen him out of his rock.. the guy sold us the rock with him in it saying that it was his home... I am afraid that he is actually stuck in there because my goby keeps going up to the rock and checking the pistol shrimp out, like to say "come join me". He has his feelers, arms and eyes out but I don't know if his body can actually come out. If he is stuck, can i take the rock out of the water and try to break a piece off. I guess my question is, will the shrimp be ok out of the water for a couple minutes??
Any assistance is greatly appreciated :)

I'd give him time. How did you acclimate him? Maybe turn off the lights for the night if they're not already. Mine hid for a good few days before coming out (eventually he'd eat food right out of my hand).

Float for 10 - 15 min then the shot glass method........then I put the rock in by the goby's cave. My lights are on a timer - 8 hours a day 2pm to 10pm (I work 8:30 to 5:30, so I'm not home during the day). He seems real curious like he wants to come out. I'm just afraid he's actually stuck!

What on earth is a shot glass method? You should always drip acclimate shrimp they are very sensitive.

I am sure he is fine probably just in shock.

my local aquarium store owner called it that - just assumed everyone knew the term. float for 10 to 15 min then add half a shot glass of water to the bag every 5 min for about another 20 min

my local aquarium store owner called it that - just assumed everyone knew the term. float for 10 to 15 min then add half a shot glass of water to the bag every 5 min for about another 20 min

Oh ok I see well I guess thats better than nothing! I am sure he is just afraid they are usually more timid by nature. Give him time to adjust.

alot of places use that method and there really is nothing wrong with it but you do have to lower the half shot glass if there is less water in the bag... the less the water the less you add at a time in the beginning.. Not to mention you have to go to the bag every 5 mins.

You must have some very large shot glasses - I dont see how two shot glasses of water over a 20 minute period is going to properly acclimate sensitive inverts like shrimp. You should really look into the drip acclimation method

my lil guy finally came out last night... thanks guys for the reassurance I just wasn't sure and I get a little bit nervous I don't want anything to go wrong with this tank :)

Back