Planning ahead - Starfish Question

twps

Reefing newb
My wife and I too a trip to the LFS yesterday afternoon to take a look around at our future options. Probably 6-8 weeks before we make a purchase.

She really likes the red star fish. I know I've heard they're hard to keep, some books I've been reading actually suggest they're great starters. We want a colourful tank so she's always drawn to the red, blue & yellow coloured critters. (ie. blood shrimp, red star)

What are my choices when adding stars (and shrimp) that are colourful? We'd only get one of each.

Why just one of each?
Stars and shrimp dont count toward the bio-load because they actually help clean the tank.
I've not know of very many of the red stars ( except for the red brittle stars ) living very long in our tanks.But there are a few hobbiest that have them for years.
I will suggest at least a couple of the serpent stars or brittles.Even a couple of eash would be fine.They will however stay back in the rock most of the time since they are nocturnal.
Fire shrimp are awesome.And 4 or 5 ( if the budgets not to tight ) would be great.But they also tend to hide out when the lights are on.
Cleaner shrimp are also cool.4 or 5 of them would be good too.They tend to set up a cleaning station that the fish will visit to be cleaned.

I'm throwing my coin in with Yote here....the cleaner shrimp (skunk shrimp) have AWESOME personalities and a really nice spash of red color. try to get more than one and they will hang out together.

Dont know if you are able to have access to these but they are pretty colorful.

100_1046.JPG

100_0574.JPG

100_0428.JPG

Those are great looking starfish. The red is popular around here, as is the blue but the blue are usually very large. I haven't seen a purple one yet.

Those are awesome pictures melosu58!

Twps, I just tried a red starfish and it died within a week. I just sadly removed it from my tank yesterday. My tank is exceptionally stable, and besides casualties due to snail/crab wars, I have had no other deaths in my tank (knock on wood). I'm not sure why mine didn't make it, but my experience with red starfish was a bad one.

Melosu58, you seem to know how to keep them, any tips?

I've been doing some reading of older posts about starfish. How do you tell if they die? Sorry for such a newbie question, but the specimens I've seen rarely move in front of you.

What's a proper way to introduce them? I read somewhere to always include their transport water, and never let them into the air. Supposedly, they release something into the water to make themselves comfortable and without this they'll die.

I also read somewhere that they're very sensitive to salinity changes. I know my LFS keeps their tanks at .017, where as mine is on the high side of .024 (.0245) to me that seems like a big difference and one that may be a shock even if being introduced to the new water gradually over an hour or more.

Last edited:
When a Starfish dies it looks like it is dissolving. Sometimes they will just have an arm die and fall off. But they will regrow an arm. Usually if is is dying then the body will look like it's turned inside out. It is pretty obvious when it is dead or truly dying.

Salinity is best at around 1.025-1.026. If your LFS is at 1.017 then they are way off IMO. I keep mine at 1.026.

Aclimate a Starfish very slowly over a period of 3+ hours and yes NEVER expose them to air.

Last edited:
+1 dcantucson.

Since I just had one die, I can say that dc is right on.

The first thing that happens when a starfisth dies is that they become lethargic-never moving from one spot. The next thing that happens is they lose a leg. The next thing is that they fall in a crumpled heap on the floor of your tank. Finally, when they start really turning inside out and mucousy discharge emits from them, you realize that the poor thing is dead. Then you take it out of your tank and remain in a state of sadness and disbelief for the next few days.

Last edited:
Then you take it out of your tank and remain in a state of sadness and disbelief for the next few days

I forgot that part. :lol:
BTW Sorry about your recent loss. :(

Back