Please help, fish dying

darrenahenson

Reefing newb
I have a 30 gallon tank, 30 lbs of love rock, and live substrate. Have two korilla 425 and 550. Took the hob filter off and now fish are dying. Ph is low. Please help!

We need a lot more info in order to help:

(1) How long has your tank been set up, how did you cycle it?
(2) Which fish have died? Were these fish you had for a while, or new ones you've added. (there will be more questions based on the answer to this one)
(3) Since removing the HOB filter, do you have any surface agitation on your water?
(4) What are your actual parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salinity, temp)
(5) When the fish die, what do you observe? Heavy breathing, listlessness, ich or other illness, etc?
(6) What do you have for livestock in your tank (which fish, inverts, etc)? How long did you wait between adding each fish?
(7) Did they all start dying at once, or has it happened over time?

Thanks for the reply.
The takn has been up for about 5 months. The cycle was completed. I had a royal Gramma which was in the takn for two weeks until this morning. I use a Korilia 425 pointing to the surface to provider agigation. I have another Korilia, 550, that I have pointed twoards the rock and the front of the tank. When the fish died, it appeared to be breathing heavily. The PH was 7.9, Amonia was 0, Nitrate was 5 and Nitrite was 0. So far, that was the only fish that died. I also have a clownfish in there with a coral banded shrimp and a CUC of snails. The Royal Gramma was the newest addition. The clownfish has been in the tank for some time

Sounds like there isn't anything specific that you've done wrong - if you have a nice ripple over the top of the water then you should have enough oxygen exchange. Did you notice any sort of ripped fins or anything on the royal gramma? Was the royal gramma eating well for the two weeks you had it? What type of clown do you have?

Edit: Also, a pH of 7.9 is totally fine, and fluxuations in pH are normal as they are dependent on light cycles. I also think pH swings are more likely to impact corals than a fairly hearty fish like a royal gramma. I think something else happened to the gramma and that it isn't pH related.

Last edited:
Yea I know, I dont get it. He was doing well and eating well until yesterday when he just hid. He did not come out for feeding as usual and then found him upside down. Do you think I would need a protein skimmer? I am sorta confused

also how do you acclimate fish? was he getting harassed by the coral banded shrimp?

he might have been sick or had a parasite, notice any white spots on him

You mean 1.30? That's pretty high, I wouldn't go over 1.27

Do you have an auto top of? Meaning do you replace evaporated water with fresh water

Wow, 30 fish? I would check into a uv clarifier if your stats are true. I had the same problem(not as many fish) and it save all mine from death. It, for me, was an underlying bad bacteria issue. I know people say " happy, healthly, unstressed fish." My fish do not answer me when i speak to them, so i had to look for different ways to take care of them. I could only keep my 3 originial fish from my upgrade, and nothing else would last a month. I spent money on pumps and filtration and nothing improved my end result until the uv light. If you go this route, please get one rated for your tank. They have different flow rates to kill parasites, bacteria and algae. Good luck, it is a stressful time when fish in your own ecosystem die for no known reason.

30 was the salinity, not the number of fish!

Darren, what type of clownfish do you have? If its a maroon clown or clown in the tomato complex then it may very well have bullied the royal gramma.

Also, I'd recommend getting a refractometer, hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate.

Yea I know, I dont get it. He was doing well and eating well until yesterday when he just hid. He did not come out for feeding as usual and then found him upside down. Do you think I would need a protein skimmer? I am sorta confused

And for a 30g I don't think you need a protein skimmer. Weekly 10% water changes should do just fine. Though if you wanted one, reef octopus makes some nice HOB skimmers.

Sometimes fish just die and we don't know why.

Back