Plexi glass or Mesh cover for tank, many variables many questions..

Washburn82

Reefing newb
So I don't have a sump so glass lid is out of the question. I have a plexi glass lid I made last year . With many holes drilled for chords and gas exchange and such. Heard though that it reduces a lot of the light from getting in. Any truth in this? Also I recently made a mesh cover with fibreglass mesh and aluminum framing. I have an HOB protein skimmer so notching an area out for that was no biggy. However, the chords on the other hand are giving me a headache. Any suggestions on how to keep the chords from getting in the way of the lid fitting snug? I thought about cutting little holes in the mesh and feeding the chords through but then I have to unplug and do that every time I feed or do a waterchange or have to adjust the temp. Also to me it looks like it reduced the led lights quite a bit. I got the fly mesh small enough to prevent flies from getting through. Is it maybe too small. Also can fibreglass melt from LEDs? I only ask cause this morning my wrasse jumped out, luckily I was there put him right back in and he's fine. Should I stick with plexi glass or the mesh based on what I've told you. Thanks any and all info is greatly appreciated.

I use the plastic egg crate panels from floresent lights and plexiglass. cut your egg crate to fit each section of your tank. Then cut out the centre leaving about a 4" frame all around the outside. Cut your plexiglass about 1/2 inch smaller then the egg crate. Its easy to make spots for electric cords. You end up with a nice frame to hold up the plexiglass. {plexiglass does NOT block as much light as glass} And its cheap. I drilled holes along the edge in a few places ang used small zip tyes to hold it together. I had a problem with my zebra dart fish jumping out. Lost 3 before i did this. Slows down evaporation too. I use leds though so i don't have to worry about trapping heat to much.

Thanks very much Monique. Only downfall to plexi glass I've found is the constant cleaning of salt creep. At the moment I'm using the new Mesh top I built yesterday it works great just looks like a sore thumb because it can't sit down snug. Gonna see if maybe I can somehow dent the aluminum in the spots where the chords are allowing it to sit a little better. If all else fails I may switch back to the plexi glass. I cut it all out perfect for chords, skimmer and like 50 1/4 inch gas exchange holes. I just read yesterday about the reduction of uv rays (ithink) that get penetrated through glass and plexi glass. Had me a little worried.

ya, you are right about the salt creep, but I only get it where my bubble stone is. Where I live its hard to get any thing unless it comes from the hardware store or you order it though the mail, so I jerryrigged this before I lost all my zebra darts. Cost my about 40 $, Mine sits right inside the lip of the tank. 3 sections 27 by 23. You dont even see it unless you stand at the tank. I like it because you can sculpt the eggcrate for all your hoses, pumps, cords etc. then I just fit the plexi as close as I can while still keeping it square. No more jumpers. And I dont get nearly as much dust, bugs,[attracted to the light], or evaporation loss. I have 2 rotties and i live in northern ontario- blackfly country.Try to keep THEM out of your house. I read that plexi doesn't block as much light as glass. When I do my reg water change and clean my filter i just stick them in the shower one at a time to rinse the salt off. I probably have 2" at the ends of the tank and a 1/2 to 3/4 space around the outside that is just mesh so i get good gas exchange and airflow. Until I get something better this is doing the job and the price was right.

Back