PO test results

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
So I added the Phosphate test to my every other day testing. What am I looking for in this? What are good results?

October 26, 2011
Sa 1.024
Temp 78.7
pH 8.1
Nitrite 0.0
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrate 0.0+
Alk <300 per test strip. (Can't seem to find Alk test kit. Still looking)
Phosphate Less than .25 ppm but greater than zero.

You can find a good alk test for pretty cheap on Dr. Foster's and Smith Aquatics section. However, i dont put much faith in phosphate tests. Phosphates last in the water column for less than a few seconds because algae is so efficient at scavenging it from the water. So you might have a phosphate problem but you are never going to be able to get a reading on it, unless its so out of control that the algae can pull it all up.

Testing makes me feel better!

Seriously, as new as the tank is, I figure if I can catch something early I can save the tank. I plan on backing off on the testing to two times a week over the next month, then to once a week by January.

Keeps me and the kids involved too.

Revisiting this topic since I really got no answer. What are good numbers, besides zero, for phosphates? Readings today differed little with previous readings. 0.25. I am however seeing some green algae growth. I know some is normal and my Turbo snail seems to clean it up pretty well. I will have to add another one shortly if it continues to grow at current rates. My turbo seems have only found one side of my tank. Actually only two big rocks at this point. He is doing a fine job cleaning them though!

Zero is the only good number for phosphates, but you can get false zeros because algae is so efficient at removing it from the water column, which is why I dont put much faith in phosphate tests.

As Hannah said, 0 is really what you want for phoshpate - and most test strips will always test negative, as phosphate is generally pulled out of the water by nuisance algae. In our systems there are really three things that are limiting to algae growth. The first is light, so if you're keeping a reef, nuisance algae will have all the light it ever needs. The second is nitrate - which is the by product of the final phase of the nitrogen cycle, and should be removed (at least partially) with weekly water changes. Ideally you want this as low as possible, but 0 is likely unrealistic - which means algae has it available for growth. The third limiting thing to algae growth is phosphate. This normally comes from tap water used for water changes, and fish food. Limiting phosphate is going to be one of the easier ways to give algae a hard time. You can do this be feeding flake and pellet foods sparingly, rinsing frozen foods before feeding, regular water changes, and possibly phosphate removal media. Algae is incredibly efficient at filtering phosphate out of the water, so most at home phosphate tests will test a false negative (meaning that in actuality, you have phosphates in your water)

Good info, thanks.

I don't use strips. I did when I first put water in the tank, and since then only to judge Alk since I can't seem to find a liquid Alk test kit. I also only use RODI water. My PO test shows .25 and has ever since I started using the API kit. I don't have a problem yet, what I'm trying to do is learn and if possible, head off potential problems before they get out of control.

All of my numbers show perfect across the board. Even today, being a day late on a water change, I am still sitting pretty. I would like to keep it that way. I don't want to have to fight an issue and I sure don't want to lose an animal because I wasn't watching something that was under my control. I'll snap a picture of the Algae I am getting and post it up.

You will have to forgive my poor photography skills. Photography is one hobby I never picked up!

103_0782.jpg

Since I'm asking the right people about potential problems, should I remove the sponge material seen in this picture? This was taken well before I started up and no, I am NOT using the bio balls! There is Live rock under the faom on the right now.

DSCN1453.jpg

I think the sponge is there to act as a bubble trap, but I would try and clean it regularly. Also all tanks go through an algae period, I wouldnt really freak out about it, just keep on top of the water changes, feed and stock your fish smartly. As your tank matures, you will find it run with less nutrients in the water column, and you wont have the same algae issues.

Back