Pod Farming

Ok, the gulf coast guy called me back. He was extremely nice and willing to do pretty much anything to make me happy which made me happy! We had a talk about copepods vs amphipods. Amphipods, according to him, are larger and easily seen with the naked eye. Copepods are almost microscopic and I need a magnifying glass to see them. I had to go to rehearsal and couldn't look at them at the time so I'm going to look as soon as I can find my magnifying glass. As far as the sand reeking his guess was that there are cerith snails in the sand mix and they probably didn't make the shipping as I was supposed to get this shipment yesterday but the delivery guys screwed up. He's working with me on that one too. This is a picture of the sand he sent me a few weeks ago.
4036276418_192bd7efc3.jpg

You can see the bits of pink (rocks with coraline) and shells, snails... A lot of people don't like this type of sand because it can hide gunk and get slimy but I stir up my sand bed a lot and I like the diversity. To me, this is a Florida beach, that's what I remember from my childhood.

So, that's a good source of copepods but if you want the bigger amphipods I would go with the guy at IPSF. I liked dealing with this company and I will purchase from them again.

Catherine

Pod update: I looked and looked but didn't see anything moving in that bag. I know when I buy the DT copepods it looks like I'm buying water. I feel like that little kid in "The Emperor's New Clothes." I gave up and dumped the bag into my tank. There was no foul odor and there is no reason the pods should have been killed due to a lengthy delivery time: they were well insulated and pods have a shelf life of about a month.

Catherine

well i got my pods today and as far as i can see they are all live and well... i see a bunch of bigger amphipods and theres a disclaimer that copepods can be very small and you might not see them but they are still in there...

overall i am satisfied though

Back