Pool tank for a shark

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I went to my LFS and they got in a bamboo shark which i stared at for about 20 minutes. The guy was saying that the best tank to have sharks in would be like a pool... essentially, built as a saltwater fish tank so it is big enough and has the right dimensions. Anyone ever hear of something like this being done? How would you keep that cool in the summer and warm in the winter??

This just seems like an impossible thing to do...

its no different from inside or out. they have chillers to keep it cool and heaters to heat it. public aquariums have exhibits that hold sharks like that i believe.

In South Dakota, you would have one awesome heating bill to keep a pool at 74-78 degrees, just to keep a shark alive. IMO these animals best belong in the ocean. Sounds like a cool idea though, if it were feasible.

i saw pictures on the web of a guy that did it in his basement with a pool from toys r us. it was one of those ones that get set up with an exterior structure of inter-locking pipes and a vinyl liner. i had one for the kids a few years ago. probably 3000 gal. or so. crazy.

There have been many people which have turned their pools into Garden Ponds to keep Koi. Never heard of it for Saltwater though.

yeah i didnt know exactly what the dude was talking about, he didnt elaborate, but i figured it would be damn near impossible to achieve...

I've actually done this before but not for saltwater. 1200 gallon (I think), 12 feet in diameter, 3 feet tall, and $70 at walmart. Set it up in my basement with 2-4 waterbed heaters underneath (can't remember exactly how many it took, I remember we had to drain water and slide a few more under it one winter since it got around 50 degrees fahrenheit down there). It's really not that difficult to do if you can put it indoors, having it outside though would be the problem. Filtration probably wouldn't be too bad either. Since we just had a few freshwater oscars in there we used the filter it came with cleaned often but I had planned to make an overflow and use several large rubbermaid tubs for some wet-dry action. It was definitely the most fun thing I've ever done in the hobby.

Back