Pool's 40G Breeder (In the works)

poolshark181

Reefing newb
Ok, you guys convinced me to get the 40gal breeder.

I'm calling the LFS and letting em know to hold it for me tomorrow.

Now, the planning. This tank is already drilled in the back right corner of the tank, so I need to plan accordingly. I definitely want a refugium, but I have no idea how to go about doing that, as well as fitting pipes and all those other things into it.

I have a 10g tank already, which i might use for the refugium if i can't fit a 20g under the stand(which, if i buy is $150, im not sure how much it is DIY)

I read somewhere that a sump was a good idea as well as a refugium, is this true?

Lights, I think I'm going with the Nova Extreme Pro, though, I'm not sure yet, that'll burn a substantial hole in my pocket :frustrat:

Also, a wooden canopy. What's the deal with that anyway, should i put one over a nova extreme? or no?

No need for a canopy of the Novas.

A sump is a good idea if you want to get all the equipment off the back of your tank and put it somewhere hidden. You can definitely make a sump and a fuge combo out of a 20 gallon tank. My sump/fuge for my old 55 gallon tank was made from a 20 gallon.

ok, the lfs cut me a sweet deal. i got the 40 gallon breeder, pre drilled with the custom overflow, and a 250 watt used halide for a total of 250 bucks

working on a design for the stand in google sketch right now.

That is a good deal. Congrats. Those lights will be fine for your tank, be sure to start them up high so you can determine how much they'll heat the tank up. If necessary, buy a cheapo clip-on fan from Walmart and clip it to the side of your tank, blowing across the water when the lights are on. That will help tremendously in keeping the temps down (although you will see more evaporation).

Back