porcupine fish

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
i been wanting one cause of the blue eyes and plus he looks cool

anyone have any exp. on this fish will he feed on my shrimps or LPS SPS

i know they can grow up to 1,2,3Feet long what about in captivity???

my closes LFS had one about 3.5" for 32$

i want him please of magic LR fairies tell me yes:^::bounce::bowdown::bowdown:

They are not reef safe and have two teeth that will chomp through corals. They also need about a 125 gal tank if I remember correctly. They are also very prone to ich. I bought one before and it got ich and killed all the fish, so if you do buy one make sure to QT.

Oh yeah they are also pretty sensitive to nitrates, so water quality must be good before adding one.

I will be more of a support for your decision. Go ahead and get him if you want him. They are really cute and look so freakin' cool. Realize a few limitations about him though. They really should be in a FOWLR tank only. I have heard all sorts of crazy ways to try to keep them with corals, like making a barrier of water flow from powerheads near the coral to keep the fish away or placing corals really high in the tank cuz they don't like bright light... all bullsh!t. When he wants to eat them, he just will. Period. Now then, he will also be lonely as they like to eat smaller fishes for fun. That is what makes me laugh about finding nemo. The only fish in that tank would be the puffer fish.

That being said, he will likely be OK in your tank for several years and then really happy in a 125. He will reach only 12-18 inches tops, depending on the variety you are looking at. So, the decision is up to you. Good luck

-Doc

I had a baby in a 24g for a little while. He left all the soft corals alone, didnt have any hard coral in with him though. Great fish, awesome personality. Outgrew the 24 pretty quick so i gave him to a friend with a larger pred tank.

Go for it!! make sure hes eating well though in the store, after that jsut feed him goldfish or guppies soaked in selcon or other vitamins.

well I went with doc and the gooiseman and got the puffer he's been in the tank for 2day happy and active, yet to even go near my rocks or coral
he only puffed when I took him out the drip container LOL cool
hopefully he'll come out like my lion and not bother anything (keeps finger crossed) the cool thing is the guy at the lfs will trade if I have any issues with him so eighter way win win LOL

Good luck, that is one of my fav fish. Lots of personality. I used to have one in my fish only tank and he did fine with my chromis until one day I started feeding him live feeder fish, then it was all down hill from there!!

yeah im hesitant to feed him live shrimp it took me too long to wean my lion and i dont want to temp him again so im in a pickle

all the fed him at the LFS was live shrimp im tryinf to wean him into eating krill hope he can accept that

just a question reefgyrl what were u feding before starting on live

Back