Possible to overkill skimming?

montoya

Reefing newb
I have a lead to get a good deal on a used MRC skimmer. I'm not clear which model it is but it is advertised as "dual injection" and appears to have two separate input lines each with its' own air valve and control. I don't know if I would need two pumps or simply put a "T" fitting in line. It was on a 300 gallon tank.

Space is not an issue because I can mount the entire unit in a separate room from my tank and run an in-line pump to drive it. It has a return valve so I should be able to reduce the flow enough to not overwhelm my 55 gallon tank - but does that then cut down on the skimmer performance too much? Also I'm reading the MRC skimmers may require a pressure type pump which can consume quite a bit more power than a standard pump?

Is this gross overkill for a 55 gallon tank? The primary reason I'm considering it is I can put together the whole system for about the price of a new skimmer sized more for my tank. If this is going to remove so much volume howver that it messes with my salinity, etc. I'll look for something more suitable.

I dont that there is such a critter as over skimming.Especially in a reef tank.
I'd say hook it up and give a try.The worst that can happen,is have to feed more.JMO.

the skimmer won't produce skimmate if the water quality is perfect. At a certain point, it will stop skimming, so you can't really overskim in that sense.

Usually completely clean water is a good thing, but some corals like a more nutrient-rich environment, while others (SPS) might thrive in more pristine conditions. I haven't actually noticed a difference, though....

Thanks. I need to talk to the guy this week to see if the dual intakes require dual pumps or if it is setup with a T fitting to split the flow from a single pump. If I have to buy two high performance pumps that may get into a little more cost than I am looking for. I have a small HOB skimmer now. I could always pick this one up and store it until I score a good deal on a pump somehwere.

the becket just intake air. they use two pumps one for the intake of water and one for the recirculation of water. from the one that i have seen but yours may be different

Back