Post Mortem 6-line

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I know this is a tough question but last Monday my 6-line up and vanished. The day before he looked perfectly healthy to me. MY wife said he was moving faster than usual around the tank. I examined him with a magnifying glass a day or so earlier and there was no trace of disease on his skin. I also saw him nipping at sushi roe that had fallen on my plate coral (he got stung?) A day or so after he vanished the surface water got somewhat slimy. He was not anywhere on the floor or in the fuge. I only had him less than 6 months. I also looked at my Yellow clown goby up close with a magnifying glass and he is perfectly healthy. What happened?

could've been anything, ich doesn't have to show its typical white spots on the skin, especially considering it attacks the gills fish.

honestly... fish die, they just do. test your water, fix anything that's a bit off... and carry on :P

stinkin' fish!

+1 Nathan
It happens.And ick's not the only thing that kills fish.Theres internal parasites,damaged vital organs.

Yeah, yeah but its always good to try to learn when something goes wrong. But in this situation I take away nothing.

Last edited:
that's what i hate the most about fish dying like that.... you always try to learn from your mistake and better yourself in the hobby.... but when stuff like that happens you're just out money... lol.

I agree with you sen, I always want to learn so as not to have it happen again. But, unfortunately more times than not, there is no "known" reason. That is very frustrating. One day everything is what seems to be perfect, then the next day there is a loss. I think the old adage "here today, gone tomorrow" is true more so in this hobby.

Sorry for your frustration.

I've lost 1 fish -- a 2 spot goby...had him a couple of weeks...one day, he was just dead. The only new thing was the hob skimmer I added; he died a day after I installed it. But I don't know100% if it was something in the new skimmer or just something random. He seemed perfectly healthy and happy otherwise.

see now that makes me believe that there was something that got introduced when you added the skimmer, either something on your hands, or something in the skimmer or whatever, but thats just too much of a ka-wink-e-dink...

Back