POTM February - Corals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... I kinda wanna play now.
Oldie but a goodie.
Even though Dana already killed it.

DSC_0075.jpg

I guess ill give it a shot. Here's mine.

IMAG1623-1.jpg

Sorry, but this is not a coral. However that will be a fine entry for March (pinks, reds, purples) , June (anything goes), October (non-corals inverts) or November (extreme close ups!). You might even be able to submit it in July (orange or yellow)

Sorry, but this is not a coral. However that will be a fine entry for March (pinks, reds, purples) , June (anything goes), October (non-corals inverts) or November (extreme close ups!). You might even be able to submit it in July (orange or yellow)

Buzz Kill!

Then the mini maxi doesn't count, either...

That is true.

Sorry, i clearly woke up in a terrible mood. But you guys asked for the categories, so dont get pissy at me for just trying to follow them.

That's okay little fish, you can go back to sleep on wake up on the other side. LOL kidding! I'm not worried about it. It's just a picture.

is a maxi mini a coral or a nem? Maybe I'm confused lol. Either way, awesome pic!

Anemones are corals. They fall under the same category as zoas. This is copied from Wiki....

Hermatypic corals
Further information: Scleractinia, Millepora, Tubipora, and Heliopora
Hermatypic corals in the subclass Scleractinia are stony corals that build reefs. They mostly obtain at least part of their energy requirements from zooxanthellae, symbiotic photosynthetic microalgae. They secrete calcium carbonate to form a hard skeleton. Those having six or fewer lines of symmetry in their body structure are called hexacorallia or Zoantharia. This group includes reef-building corals (scleractinians), sea anemones and zoanthids. Hermatypic genera include Scleractinia, Millepora, Tubipora and Heliopora.[5]

To be honest...I question wether it is or not myself. I've had a couple discussions about this topic and it seems to go either way. May be a good thread to start to see what people here think.

Im going to rule that they are not corals, because no-one on here really puts them into the coral category even if they may be in that family.

As i put in my first post, there is no shortage of months that they can enter them in. And who wants to compete against Dana anyways ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back