Powder Brown & Blue...Same Tank?

chuck78

The Reefanatic
This is just driving me crazy now!!! I've read over & over about not placing the two in the same tank, but here it is....the 4th tank now where I see a powder brown & blue co-existing in the same tank this time it was a 220 gallon & these are'nt juveniles or new additions either. This tank has been up & running for 3 yrs. They even swim together with no fin nipping or tail slapping. This is driving me crazy b/c I'm about to get a 220 & would very much like to try introducing them both @ the same time:frustrat: Any input yall?...?...?

Last edited:
You can try it but, 9 times out of 10 that combination will be tough to keep together. You've found only 4 examples of them doing well together, there are many many more you'll find where it won't happen. I will say, it is possible but be ready with a backup plan for the fish if/when it starts to get bad.

Thanx Everyone!!! You all are just saying what I was already thinking...Thanx for the comformation yall :) I think I'm gonna try it next month. I'll make sure to keep you all posted.

Well the 150 that I have now is about to become a FOWLR. That's where the "Aggressor" of the two will reside...& thanx again little_fish, you're always on point....as always.

No, what is your plan when one of those fish is getting beat to death. That is my question.

I think he's saying that he'll try the two together in the 220, and if they don't work out together, the aggressor will be banished to the 150 FOWLR.

Remove the canopy & go in the tank with an acryllic container...remove the aggressor then acclimate him to the FOWLER tank. I'm gonna be right in front of the tank almost all day everyday b/c I plan on doing this on my 3 week vacation when I have time to observe everything that happens in my tank all day...any other questions?

Try it Chuck! I really want a herd of tangs when I get my big tank, and two that I want are an Achilles and a Powder Brown. So you do it first, and I'll follow your progress!

Any & All questions are welcome........I honestly need them to make my plan that much better. If I encounter a question that I can't answer, I will probly back out of this plan altogether b/c I'm not a fish killer & I don't like wasting my money or time on something that's a lost cause. Hey are you still there little_fish?

I know, but that logic applies with any fish. I've seen two fish that were catagorized as peaceful (TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPECIES) at ends with each other. I've seen this happen on more than one occasion too so I know that they are like people. I was planning on getting both fish anyway whether they lived in the same tank or not.

I know, but that logic applies with any fish. I've seen two fish that were catagorized as peaceful (TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPECIES) at ends with each other. I've seen this happen on more than one occasion too so I know that they are like people. I was planning on getting both fish anyway whether they lived in the same tank or not.

It definitely does, my blenny picked on EVERYONE in my tank (clowns, wrasses, tangs) it didn't matter. He got removed real quick.

Sorry, I had class.

Im glad you have a plan, but I really think its a bit naive to think you are going to one of the few who actually makes it work. However, I think you have good back up plan. But I also think you are totally ignoring that fact that both of those fish are HIGHLY prone to ich and other stress problems, and I think its a poor idea to put them into a young, newly set up tank. Also, if things to do wrong, how will either one of those tangs fit into the FOWLR tank, will those tank inhabitants be a good fit for these picky, picky picky fish?

Yeah... I know & also that I will stress the tang even more by chasing it thru the tank to catch it...relax little_fish, I'm now full of doubt & my hopes are dashed. I think that I'll just leave the idea alone for now....I was only ever confident b/c I've spent over $5500.00 in equipment keeping my fish & corals happy...chiller,reactor,sterilizer, you name it, I got it. Not to mention that I've succesfully kept a Naso Blonde & PB Tang in my 150 for a whole year now w/o any ich problems. I'll just give this a second thought later.

Last edited:
Sorry, i didnt mean to dash all your hopes, I just want you to make a totally informed choice about getting those fish. I dont see why you cant try it at a later date, just get your 220 up and running and look at what you have in the FOWLR.

Having an established reef will help, a mature reef will be more stable and if you cant get them to eat right away, there will be some natural foods in there for them to eat. Also having a few other small fish in there will give them some other targets of attention instead of going after each other all the time.

I also ask you to look at what you have in the FOWLR, if things go bad and one fish ends up in there, they arent going to respond well to another bossy fish like trigger or angel (which most people have in large FOWLR tanks) or even another bossy tank like a kole tang.

Also what sort of delicate fish have you successfully kept? This isnt totally necessary, just something to think about.

Sorry to come off as such a pain, but it really bothers me when people just casually toss around these fish. If you are going to undertake buying a fish that has a high risk of the fish dying, I want to see that people have taken the best possible precautions to prevent that. You have clearly done your research, which is good, but I want to make sure you have thought about your own situation and chance of success in your OWN tank.

Back