Powder Brown

ltljoker

The Great Tang Herder
I will be accuiring a powder brown next week, I have tried unsuccessfully a number of times to keep these beautiful fish. if any of you have any tips or suggestions on how to reduce the stress or a great cure for ich since that is what kills most of them, I would be truly at your mercy....:Cheers:

I know Qt. I have tried copper and other meds, i have even done the low salinty thing and it didnt work. some advice from some of thefish keepers who have sucsessfully kept these fish alive

My LFS won't even carry them because of their ich issues. They sure are a good looking fish though.

I've had a powder brown for the last couple months. I introduced it with a sailfin I bought the same day. My yellow tang bullied both of them right off the bat, especially the sailfin. I was really really worried about the sailfin. I don't quarantine, but I have never lost a fish to ich. Both new tangs got ich right away, but both continued eating. Because the yellow was being so mean, I turned the lights off for a few days. It took about a week for the yellow to chill out, and he stopped bullying them eventually. The ich also went away on the two new tangs after a couple weeks. I know tangs are ich magnets, but I haven't lost a fish yet to it, and I follow the practice of good nutrition, minimize stress as much as I can, and good water quality. I think if you are losing fish to ich in your tank, you have problems other than the ich going on.

Here is a pic I took of my guy last week. As you can see, the ich isn't even noticeable now. He is doing great, eating fine, and very active. He picks on the rocks constantly, and gets along with everyone else in the tank.

0672.jpg

Last edited:
They are beautiful fish,and i know we've been round and round about QTing and ich ect,ect......and i still can't believe you are one of the very few who have success with it, and all this in a 90? right?
I give you much credit and props and even admire abit,but its still not something i would suggest doing:mrgreen:

Yeah, it's a 90, and like I've said before, perhaps I've been lucky with my fish. The only ones I've lost have been jumpers. I don't run a UV (never have) and want to know what's even more shocking? I BOUGHT THE POWDER BROWN AT PETCO!! Gasp! My point was, if fish keep dying of ich, you need to figure out the underlying problem. Low-quality food or water? Incompatibility with other tank inhabitants? There's something else going on.

Well you sure proved that:lol:.....:mrgreen:
joker,you may want to take a step back and evaluate your tank,before adding another ,JMO

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a 90, and like I've said before, perhaps I've been lucky with my fish. The only ones I've lost have been jumpers. I don't run a UV (never have) and want to know what's even more shocking? I BOUGHT THE POWDER BROWN AT PETCO!! Gasp! My point was, if fish keep dying of ich, you need to figure out the underlying problem. Low-quality food or water? Incompatibility with other tank inhabitants? There's something else going on.

I'll play Sundance to Biff's Butch Cassidy.........................I have never QT'd any fish either. Though I do run a UV on my system.

It seems like there are more here who don't QT vs. those who do,but very few who never have a problem,so if i were them, i'd try a new approach to things...

I'm not by any means suggesting doing it. It's just something I have never done in 8+ years. I also put a hold on a fish, watch him, make sure he eats and look him over really well before I bring him home.

Hey guys, never said I only lose fish to ich. I said i have lost several fish to diffrent sercomstances. Like 1 died of ich, the last one I got I did qt him in low salinity and he was eating very good. But I could still see his stomach drawing in and i beleave he starved:frustrat: to death, thats why i am asking . I do water changes every 2 weeks and I already have 3 tangs in my tank. and they do just fine.So I was just asking for a few of your guys tips out there. i.e like what kinda vitamins you all use or what kinda veggies you feed them.....:bowdown: Wade call me:mrgreen:

OK ,i see...Well ,for me i use 0 vitys or garlic or any supplements of any kind.I have an angel whose diets are similar to tangs.i also had a chocolate tang for a couple years before an incident happen.. I feed, spianch,broccoli(very high in V- c) ,brussel sprouts(high in V-c),zucchini,seaweed selects(brown),mega angel,and mega marine algea ,and formula 2....then meats: table shrimp,squid,clams,krill,scallops,hermit crabs(for triggs)and trigger formula....all my fish eat all of it

Nemo, in what form do you feed them those veggies. Do you gind them up in a blender or cut them into small pieces for them to grab. I have seen stores throw in wheels of cucumber or float large pieces of zuccini. thanks:mrgreen:

Everything is fresh frozen....the zucchini and spinach are from our garden and the broccoli and sprouts are store bought fresh then froze(washed first ,ofcourse).....I get a cup full of tank water and use a pair of scissors and cut into small pieces to be thawed..I have a nice rotation,they get a different veggie everyday...been doing this for a few years now...When i first started out i fell victim to the flake and brine method:pooh:,did that for about one month......one too many.....
Give it a try, and good luck:Cheers:

Last edited:
Back