power down pump...

godeeporgohome123

Reefing newb
okay i dont even know if such a thing is even real but do any of you know of a device that would keep the power off for my pump even after the power has been restored?

lets say the power gose out my pump stops and my syphion breaks, then the power come back on the pump starts running and clears out my sump ending with a dead pump because it ran dry and burnt its self out... I GREATLY WANT TO AVOID THIS..it truely is the only problem im seeing in the future and i dont want to keep replaceing pumps!

I know I can program that into my aquacontroller...... other than some actual controllers, I don't know of any other way....... if the way your setup works the siphon breaks everytime the pump quits....... I would change the way you have it setup........ your siphon should NEVER break on it's own......... even if the pump quits.... you are definetly asking for a flood if not worse if you don't fix this..... even a controller can fail......

+1 Acer
You can get a float switch that will cut the pump off if the water level gets to low.But as Acer said,if the siphon breaks on its own just because the pumps been turned off,your asking for a lot of head aches.

Why not install a pump to start your siphon back up? I have one installed on my overflow that is always running. If the power goes out my return pump and siphon pump obviously get shut down. When power is restored they both come on to gether.

Why not install a pump to start your siphon back up? I have one installed on my overflow that is always running. If the power goes out my return pump and siphon pump obviously get shut down. When power is restored they both come on to gether.

sometimes i dont know why i cant just think of these simple solutions on my own lol Thanks man thats a good idea i still need an over flow tho

you should never lose siphon with an HOB overflow once the tank drains to the bottom of the overflow the water will stop draining but the siphon should never be lost. the only time is should be lost is if the U shaped tube from the inside to the outside is removed allowing air to enter the tube breaking the siphon.

+1 everyone here...If you do chose to keep your setup, I think Yote's got the best idea of using a float switch which will cut the power off your pump if the level gets too low.

But wouldn't you rather have to replace a dead pump rather than your entire livestock? Like, worse case, if you left for a whole day and your power went out but came back on, if you don't circulate the water after around 3-6 hours (?), you could cause problems in your system. This is worse case, of course. You're better off avoiding all the uncertainty by replacing your overflow setup.

sometimes i dont know why i cant just think of these simple solutions on my own lol

Sometimes it's good to have a few objective eyes and ears :)

Back