Power head! (finally got one)

Nickoz1

Reefing newb
So i picked up a powerhead, i ended up picking up a marine maxijet 400 powerhead....
I was wondering if its besfor my 30 gallon to do either powerhead r more of the current flow....powerhead is alot stronger. I only got one of these . Also one of the options
Was you can adjust aeration. Via current
Setup. What is you best choice to use.

Thanks n advance.

Direction is kinda hard with just one powerhead. You will get mostly laminar flow (from one side to another) which is undesirable. On my 29 gallon I have 2 koralia powerheads in the corner pointing to the front of the tank and a maxijet in the center pointing off to the side and up so it disturbs the surface. You want your tanks water to be turned over about 30x an hour. so for a 30 gallon tank you want around 900 gph and you want the flow to be as random as possibly.

Do you have the maxijet setup as a propeller pump or a power head? The propeller should put out 500 gph I think and a decent wide flow. I would aim the powerhead or propeller out towards the glass which will spread the flow, adding turbulence.

I would still plan on getting another powerhead or so when you can. I had two EcoTech Marine MP10s in my 10 gallon, set to about 70% so somewhere around 2,000 gph plus my return pump.

You want as much wide turbulent flow as you can while keeping your sand in one place. This means you should get significant rippling at the top of the water line. The flow brings nutrients and cleans waste out of corals.

Back