power outage

keeping your sump water level low enough to be able to accomodate the backsiphon from your tank. test by turning off your return pump. i marked the water line where my sump can hold all the water from the backsiphon

If you have your return lines deep into the water, when the power goes out, the tank will drain until it reaches the return and breaks the siphon. You can keep the returns about 1" below the surface and when the water level drops 1" it will break the siphon. You can also drill a hole in the return about 1" below the water line and that will also break the siphon.

what i did was, i filled up my tank all the way to the overflow, filled the overflow up to my standpipe, andthen filled my sump halfway.

turned on the return pump and watched the water level go down(but not to where the return pump was running dry, add more water to prevent this from happening).

then i turned off the return pump and let the water drain into the sump.then, i added more water the desired height i would want the water level to be at if the power ever went out.

turn on the return pump and let the water level go down again in the sump. mark this spot. this spot is the point you should never cross when topping off or during water changes, as if the power goes out, the water will go up to your predetermined point from earlier. if you overshoot your mark, the water will overflow (if you gave that little leeway)

if you have built-in overflows, then you have received great advice. If you have a HOB overflow, you will need to drill a small hole into the return hose, about an inch above the diffuser, to allow for a siphon break or your tank will flood.

-Doc

yes, it is reef ready and the tube that takes the water to the sump from the display tank has a small "straw" thing coming out of the 90, is that what that is for

You can also buy a plastic one-way valve for your return line. Then any water back siphoned from your returns won't get into the sump at all. That's what I use for my sump.

Anything CAN fail. I bought a one way valve specially designed to work under even the slightest back pressure from Marine Depot. It's worked for 2+ years so far.

We put one on out sump pump for the basement. It's been there for 9 years and still working. It's put to use several times a day.

speaking of power outages....I woke up to one this morning, 6-11am with no power. Everything came back on an was fine then we lost power about 7-8pm. I don't know what is going on but we have lost power like 10 times in the past month. What does everybody do with there fish (for oxygen) and water temp with no power? How long can the tank be with no juice?

In the summer time here we get huge monsoon storms, and luckily my power hasn't gone out for more than a few hours. Tanks will be fine for a few hours, but it is probably wise for everyone to invest in a small emergency generator to support their tanks if it's out for any longer. I know Yote has a generator for his tank on hand.

speaking of power outages....I woke up to one this morning, 6-11am with no power. Everything came back on an was fine then we lost power about 7-8pm. I don't know what is going on but we have lost power like 10 times in the past month. What does everybody do with there fish (for oxygen) and water temp with no power? How long can the tank be with no juice?

I bet the transformer is going. It happen to us for several weeks until they finally replaced it.

I don't know what it is but it sure is annoying. Does anybody use those battery backupsurge protectors? There rather expensive and only run without power for 2 hours or so. At the price there at and that short of a runtime, I'd probably be better off buying a generator.

Back