powerhead placement in a mezzo (half cylinder) tank

bbrunner

Reefing newb
I could really use some input on the best way to set up powerheads in my new tank-

first tank is 140 gallon 55" acroos the back with the widest part in font being 24" . tank is 30" tall. i have a sump below with a refugium

i am building a reef tank and have 150 lbs of live rock placed in a curve to follow the curve of the tank. there is also space in front and back of the live rock with lots of caves throughout for good water flow

it has already cycled for 2 months and i have 1 sicce voyager 4 1600GPH powerhead right now mounted on the back of tank left corner facing toward the curve on the front.

my question is how many more powerheads should i add and what is the best placement for these to get great water flow that would be best for the corals, anemones, and fish.

i have read many articles but its hard to find any on mezzo tanks to create a good current flow.

anyone have any experience with a large mezzo tank?

i would really appreciate any input before i go buy the wrong things and waste money and time

I don't have any experience with those tanks, but I'd place about two powerheads behind the rockwork, on the rear panel to give good flow throughout the rocks and to keep crap from settling. And then a powerhead at the top of the tank for gas exchange and more water movement. Also, welcome to the site.

Back