Powerheads and Noise

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Can you guys hear your powerheads from outside your tank? I use four K3s, and I can hear them buzzing non-stop, even if I'm several feet away from the tank. Since sounds are amplified in water, I'm wondering if this could have a negative effect on my livestock. Is this a sign that my powerheads need replacing? Are they supposed to be totally silent?

This is why I got rid of the Koralias. Went through several 1's and 2's. Would swap them in and out with my LFS and he would send them back. Got tired of this and just bought some Tunzes. I never recommend the Koralias when someone asks. The tunzes are a little more but the quality is awesome and so is the warranty/service if you ever had a problem.

When was the last time you gave those Koralias a vinegar soak? I've found that by soaking them once a month will cut the calcium build up and keep them running smooth and quiet.
The only humming I get from my tank is my skimmer and return pumps.

I just ordered four new Koralia Evolutions because the noise is so loud that I can hear it in the next room. They were on sale at Big Al's for 20% off... The 1050s (which are equivalent to the Koralia 3s, which is what I have four of in my tank now) were only $31. Free shipping and no tax. I'm kinda short on cash right now (REALLY short on cash right now, actually), and I would have gone with the Tunzes had the price difference not been so huge. I did read online that the new Evolutions do not have the noise problems that the older Koralias do. I'm hoping that's the truth. I'm really worried about the psychological damage to my fish! Does that sound crazy? Having to live with noise like that would drive me nuts.

I took them all out and scrubbed them with a wire brush yesterday. But I will take them out again today and give them a vinegar soak.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. A vinegar soak is underway as we speak. I usually only soak them in vinegar if I can see a lot of build up. Since I already cleaned them this weekend, there isn't much on them, but hopefully the vinegar will fix them until the new ones arrive.

my k4s have bee ngreat even algae filled and coralline covered with small brittle stars wrapped all up in the impeller. the only noise i ever experience is the dang props on my modded maxijets, but the payoff for serious flow and super cheap solution is totally worth it and its just sparattic. I hate noise coming from the tank, thats why i totally dumped my closed loop setup. that damn pump could be heard from upstairs in my closet. it was madness.

good luck with the soak!

Thanks Alexander! Without the powerheads running, the only noise I can hear is the trickle of the water into the overflow. I'm going to put some sponge in there to see if I can dampen that too. It will be nice to have a silent tank!

Yeah it's a Durso. There's no sucking noise or anything. But the water has to drop around 6" to get to the entry of the standpipe, so that's the sound I hear.

I just scrubbed them all off with a wire brush again and put them back in the tank. I'm still getting major buzzage. Better than before the vinegar soak, but I can still definitely hear it in the next room.

Oh well. It was worth a shot. Maybe they are just old and decrepit. After all, they have been running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the past 5 years.

yeah i say considering the salt water environment thats a pretty good run. lots of abuse ran in a sw environment.

could you (ndb) build a different standpipe that is taller. the standpipe i build for my tank becasue there was no way in hell i was giong to pay for a pre fab thing that i could replicate comes up about only an inch or so from the trickle so its extremely quiet. could save from the sponge thing and having to constantly mess with that stuff. I couldnt believe i ran my tank without a standpipe for like 2 years before making the thing. night and day difference.

We built the one we have now. My overflow has a lid, and the top of the standpipe goes right up to the lid. Any higher, and it would stick out the top and I couldn't use the lid. The drain in my tank is pretty big, so I used larger PVC pipe... The cap at the top sticks up a couple inches.

Biff,When those new Koralias come in,How about giving me a full review of em.I want to konow how well they would work on a wave maker.See if they click or not.

Back