Pre mixing coral slurry and keeping it, unfunkdefied./

Washburn82

Reefing newb
Thats right unfunkdefied..non funky. I have been pre mixing cyclopese, brine and phytoplankton with a little bit of saltwater in a little sealable tupperware container. I have been keeping it in my fridge where it stays cold. Although when i open it, mother of god it smells bad. Do you guys freeze it? Or just premix individual feedings? Or is that funky smell normal?

the easiest thing to do is after you mix it up separate it out in to the correct portions and then freeze it. It goes bad rather fast in the fridge.

Thanks guys, sinec your input i have been freezing it. Muchhh better. After frozen i just add some saltwater via baster and within 10 mins its ready to serve. I noticed however my clowns love mysis shrimp. I recently purchased marine cuisine has a bit of everything from what i read. The wont eat it. Also some bio-pure mega marine, they also wont eat it. is there enough nutrition in just mysis shrimp for them? Im trying to stay away from flake food although they love it.

Ive never tried those brands, but I know my fish and everyone I have talked, loves Rod's food. That is a super high quality mix bag food, also has good stuff for the corals too.

Rods food? Never heard of it. Ill have to ask my lfs if they can get it. Im assuming its a blend of frozen stuff? Both of the brands I mentioned are high in vitamins and nutrition. I want something that gives then everything they need in one mix.

+ 1 on Rods food. I feed my fish and coral with it.

You know how you get your fish to eat your food? Don't feed them for 3 or 4 days :D

Some fish are picky and will only eat certain types of foods. Try a variety, and you'll find something they enjoy. You can also try bloodworms, tubifex worms, krill, fortified brine, Emerald Entree, squid...

Ya the stuff i bought (Mega-marine) has ocean plankton, krill, shrimp, sea urchin, sea worms, clam, mussel, squid, sea algae, spirulina and buch of vitamins i dont wanna type out. Thy eat it then spit it out instantly. Even my goby whos usally a pig.

Teel me about it..Flake food and mysis they go crazy for. Im trying to get rid of flake food all togeather. I wasnt sure if mysis has any real nutritional value so i have to find some kind of frozen food that they will eat. Think i may order some Rod's soon see how that works. If all else fails soak it in garlic.

If they like flakes, there are some high quality flake foods out there. It's okay to feed them those, since they are so picky!

I have prime reef flakes. They love it. But I would prefer frozen foods. Ill find something they like :-) no one has answered my question yet... So I'm assuming mysis shrimp isn't enough nutriton.

Mysid shrimp is fine to feed, the only issue with mysid shrimp is that they have a lot of nitrates and phosphates and can lead to water quality issues if there is a lot left over.

Prime reef flake is fine. I feed a mix of Prime Reef Flake and Formula II in my tank along with a frozen mash made by a local reefer here. If you don't want to feed flake, New Life Spectrum pellets are another high quality food, and as an added bonus, finicky fish tend to eat NLS pellets

Mysid shrimp is fine to feed, the only issue with mysid shrimp is that they have a lot of nitrates and phosphates and can lead to water quality issues if there is a lot left over.

Oh yeah? Is this why I see a lot about culturing your own brine and pods but not mysis?

Back