problem skimmer?

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
Im using a HOB octopus skimmer its a bh-100, and ive always had algae problems. Sometimes its a lot sometimes not as much but theres always SOME... well as i was emptying out my collection cup today i looked in the skimmer, and it came with this piece of sponge thats like 2x2x2 inches that wraps around the pipe that dumps water back into the tank. Well this sponge is NAAAAAAAAAASTY, like it looks like its covered in brown, nasty gunk... its FULL of it. Ive never looked at it before and now im starting to think that maybe this is why my water quality is helping algae grow. Could something like this raise phosphates? Should i remove this sponge all together??

It could raise your nitrates. I would remove it see how the skimmer works without it. If its a must have piece then you will have to clean it weekly.

sounds like its spounge to cut down any micro bubbles, i would try taking it off.. you might get a lot of micro bubbles maybe though if you did take it off.

well ill be putting the skimmer into my sump that i just finished off, and that has a tripple baffle... ill try it

do nitrates help algae grow too?

Any sponges in the system ,weather in the skimmer or sump,or whereever need to be rinsed at LEAST once a week.

no tap water, i buy my water from LFS and they use RO water, and that sponge hasnt been cleaned in about 3 months... ill probably try to leave the skimmer without it for a little while and see how that goes

Any sponges in the system ,weather in the skimmer or sump,or whereever need to be rinsed at LEAST once a week.

You, everyone, should always keep spares. I have extra prefilters for my overflow that I just switch out really quick and just rinse the one that came out.

You, everyone, should always keep spares. I have extra prefilters for my overflow that I just switch out really quick and just rinse the one that came out.

Got 2 complete setts for my sump:D

Puffer,this is just a guess since I've not seen one of those skimmers in operation,but I'd say that sponge is there to help with the micro bubbles.

so i was gonna move my tank to my parents basement but they decided not to do the whole renovation right now so i decided to move my tank back to school (which was a pain)... but i got it moved and got rid of that scopas tang and when i moved it i cleaned the crap out of all my filters/pumps/skimmer and removed like 98% of my cyano off all my rocks and sand and did like a 50% waterchange...

however.. the tank has been set up for a few days and cyano is back all over the sand.. so i dunno what the hell is going on and causing it?!?

should i try to leave my lights off for a few days again and do another water change??? i was gonna do it but i didnt wanna stress my corals even more than the move..

Moving a tank will cause this to happen. Just keep up with the water changes and it should settle down in a few weeks. Manually remove what you can before the waterchange will help also.

Brian

sorry im a latecomer to this thread but i removed my sponge from my otcto-100 with no difference in performance.

Back