Problem

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I went away for the weekend and when I returned I had red algae. So I did a 15 gallon water change. This morning when I got up I noticed I had red strings supened from the sand and lots of air bubbles on the rock. So i suctioned out as much of the red stuff I could. Replaced 15 more gallons of water. A few hours later I noticed the air bubbles are back on the rock. What is causing all the bubbles? I have not added anything new to my tank. I am using something for phosphate and also chemi pure. All my test come out great. No nitrites,nitrates,ammonia,or phosphates. Calcium is 420 and Iodine is ok .06 I even went and bought a second test and all the reading came out the same. The only thing I did different when I left was turned the MT lights off earlier which turned the furge lights on earlier and longer. Does anyone know what's causing all the bubbles? Could they be caused from the red algae dieing? I'm just getting tired of cleaning out the tank everyday.

I believe its cyano. When i had cyano problems, there would be bubbles under it. Alot of bubbles, everywhere. Cyano is like film and covers an area and traps air. If its not cyano, then im not sure what is causing the bubbles.

yup. cyano. do you have enough water movement? feedings not too much? when you were gone, did you have a "guest feeder" watching your tank who may have overdone it? Did something recently die when you were gone? just find out questions as to what can cause cyano. Good luck

-Doc

I pretty sure I have enough water movement. I have the two overflows. I have them breaking the surface. I have 4 powerheads. Corlia #1,2, and 2#3(maybe 4) can't remember. Been thinking of getting another #3 and pull out the 1&2. Yes I had a son feeder. He only feed once a day. I learned from the last time. I guess next time I'll portion out the food for each day.

I have 2 clowns,2firefish,sixline,royal gramma,foxface,goby,and 2 tangs. I feed once a day. Plus give a piece of a algae sheet. My fish act like they are starving. I also feed a few corals at night. Which my fish wake up and steal their food. If I don't feed every day they'll jump out of the tank and eat me.

I feed mine once a day too. And I have anthias, and I still only feed once a day. I have only 4 of 9 original anthias left, so I guess I successfully weeded out the weaklings :). Sometimes cyano just shows up for no good reason.

I did another water change today. I suctioned out as much as the red algae that I could. What pisses me off is I no longer get done replacing the water that I notice the red strings are on the sand.
So how can I get all the crap thats lying on the sand to filter out? I have snails but not sure if they're doing their job.

Do you have any conchs in there?
They'll move more sand than nasserious(sp?).
Also cut the lights off for 3 or 4 days after you siphon the cyano out.That may at least give you a head start on it.

Back