Project5k and the new 75Gal salt tank

well, i did end up with a few good ideas, but one thing that i noticed this morning, was that there was a blue leg hermit picking away at the "middle" set of dead zoas, now i dont know if this is cause they are dead, and he's doing cleanup, or if he's the one thats been causing them the problems in the first place... hmmm

i dunno, i'm really stumped at this point... about all i can do now is wait and see...
well, and keep working on other things.. like lights...

i was really just flabbergasted by how bright the 420 and 460 bulbs are, i mean i know its on a white background, and that contributes some, but still, man, i really couldnt see for like 3 or 4 min after i first turned them on, i was just blinded...

so, hopefully tonight when i get home i can mount all the bulb sockets, and perhaps even strip down the lights i have now and scavenge all thoes parts for this setup... the plan is to use the pc's that i have now, inside the new canopy, along with the 420 and 460 that i have, untill i can afford more t5 bulbs, i figure if i get a couple each paycheck, then i'll have it all filled up just about the time i get unemployed...

christmas allways ends up putting come cash in my hand, so i'm sure i'll use that towards something for the tank, perhaps some powerheads, so i can dump the harborfreight pumps that i'm using now... i like them, and they were cheap, but they are adding heat to the water, and i've noticed that on the days when there's no central air running(ie no air movement in the house) that the tank likes to get a little warmer that i'd like... and now that i'm adding all this extra heat from the new lights, i'm afraid it may only make the situation worse...

something else that i have been rolling around in the back of my head is a home brew temp controller. I'm talking an all in one solution, heater and chiller ... it would have to have a non metalic heat exchanger, as titanium is out of reach pricewise for me... i have some other ideas that would be much cheaper, but untill i test them, i wont know for sure... i gotta bust out with some math...

back to the books, it takes 1btu to heat 1 pound of water 1 degree, bla bla bla

well, i didnt end up getting anything done last night, buy the time i got done at the DR's, then going to figure out my new glasses, and eating, it was past my bedtime...

i did get 3 min to stair at my tank last night, and low and behold, what did i see, a blue legged hermit crab pickn at zoas again... i gotta get them up away from the crabs... like a frag shelf, or maybe i'll just hang it ona string, idunno, but as for right now, thats my best guess...

stupid crabs

oh yea, and i almost forgot, my RO/DI filter should be delievered today!

Last edited:
sweet video p5k... and those are copepods. amphibods are bigger and look like pill bugs, sorta.

your canopy design is sweet. what sort of thing can you use for heat exchange that isn't metallic??

well, you can use plastic tubing, just gotta be careful not to exceed its max working temp... and the other thing about using a non metalic heat exchanger is the efficency... plastic dosent have as good of thermal conductivity as metals do... basically, by using a less efficient material, i will have to increase the total surface area in the HX....

oh, and where is my filter?!?!?!? hehehe thank you UPS tracking online:
SAN MARCOS, TX, US 11/24/2009 4:11 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

just as a point of interest, i put in some price quotes for a titanium HX with some middle of the road specs... from several manuf's i know of.... we'll see if and or what they tell me...

so i cought the zoa eater, red handed...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWfeNoWFUJY[/ame]

and the RO/DI filter is here, man, that thing is a bunch bigger than i thought it was gonna be, thats not gonna fit under the sink...

oh, and i have moved my zoas for now....

Attachments

• 11-24-09 001  s.jpg
    11-24-09 001 s.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 192
well, i dont know if its a great idea or not, but at least the blue legged crabs cant get to it there.... so if that really is whats eating them, then they will be safe, i just gotta make myself a frag rack.... well, that and get the blue legs out... I figured that braided 50lb test would be ok in the tank, i mean it is FISHingline!!! hehehe

the zoas dont seem to mind, after i hung them up on the string, they opened back up, so......

oh that is cool, i had seen some pictures before, but never actually looked at one for sale..

i looked around some and found one for the corner of the tank that i really like, so, i think i'll try and make me one of thoes... i have suction cups, but i'd rather use magnets.... hmmm, how can i put a magnet in my tank and not have it leach stuff into the water......

epoxy? like the 2 part stuff that comes in thoes bouble barrel syrenges?

what brand? any specifics you can tell me so i get the right stuff?

i dont know which epoxy to use just look for a twopart one that is safe for potable water. the frag rack that i have is an ehops and the magnets are encased in plastic.

are you talking about a mag-float or whatever they are called? that seems like that would cost more than just buying the rack outright... i have eggcrate, and i have some MONSTER STRONG super small magnets... if i can cover them in epoxy, well, thats all i'll need...

the other thing that just came to mind... why not put the magnets inside some pvc, and cap the ends.. then they dont have to be encased in anything... oh, now thats something i wanna try, if for no other reason that just to see if it would work...

Back