pros and cons of crushed coral

Pros to crushed coral? None.

i dis agree, its great stuff for making your own rock!

well you could always make rock out of it. Thats what I plan on doing with the cc i took out of my tank.

you got it covered ted? or would you like my input/help, i have a cement mixer ready to go at my place....

Do I need egg crate on the bottom of the tank?

need, no, i would suggest it tho... i cant find ANY drawbacks to it, and it does what was said above, raises the rocks up, makes them more stable, protects the glass.... i've got it across the bottom of my tank, and i think it was one of the smarter things thats been done concerning my tank thus far...

so the rock will not break the glass?
if you are gentle, then no, it can sit directly on the bottom glass, but again, eggcrate is only like 10 bucks... thats some cheap insurance... i would make one suggetion tho.. dont make the mistake i did when i put mine in and just start stacking the rocks, i wish i had made a little effort to spread a little sand across the eggcrate before stacking rocks, dont fill up the squares, but at least get a little in each square.. that way it will be easier after you stack the rocks to know where you need to fill in the rest of the crate with the sand so that you cant see the crate sticking throught the sand when your all done... make sence?

The egg crete is a good idea.But if you dont use it,make sure that you work the rock down through the sand,until its resting on the glass.If you dont,then borrowing animals and water movement will undermine the rock and cause it to become unstable.

yea, if you do the egg crate or not, either way put the bottom layer of rocks down, and then back fill around them with the sand, that way any burrowing animals cant get under the rocks and cause a rockslide...

i still vote for the eggcrate tho...

Back