protein skimmer opinions plz

It is a skimmer from AquaTrader.com, Odyssea brand. Generally considered a budget brand with questionable results.

That said it is basically just a copy of the CPR BakPak hang on back skimmer. I use one on my 55G, decent enough skimmer but nothing I would rave about. How affective the skimmer will be is basically depends on the powerhead. Given the one that comes with it is more than likely cheap it may be worth while to get the Accela replacement pump that works with the bakpaks, should work with that one too.

*Edit* Or get a Rio 600, which I believe is the pump that the BakPak comes with initially

That is what I have on my 55 gallon. I have been reasonably pleased with it.

I do not know what kind of setup you have but let me give some advise, if you can get a sump on your tank and get an in sump model. I have seen better results from those and not having a sump on my 55 gallon has been my biggest regret with my setup and something I will be correcting in a month or so when I upgrade to a 90 gallon. That being said, getting a BakPak for 75 dollars is a damn good deal and it is a decent skimmer.

Back