Protien skimmer leak question?

pokerfish

daily puffer
I've got an Reef Octopus hob skimmer that works well for me but from day one when you remove the collection cup it leaks from the bottm left side...the seam of the acrylic bottom lets water out ( and back into bubble chamber) The up side is that my cup can never overflow.Is this by design? Or am I supposed to be able to do a wet skim and remove green tea water without cup leaking. As it is, I still pull a lot of dirty bubbles out...but to get water I,d have to be really fast and dump it quick...I talked to someone from coralvue( i think thats the company who makes them) and she sais that it was by design, but it was obvious to me that she really had no idea...I call upon the the wizards, and witches of the forums( I mean that like Harry Potter witches not the ugly wart nosed green faced wizard of ozzish kinda witches cause I would never want to insult the women here as they have been extremely helpful to me and give awesome advice and seem super nice and....sorry....I ramble sometimes)
Anyway, I call on the trusted experts on this sight for advice...should the collection cup leak...or should I seal it...if so...with what?

Weld-on. Call a local glass shop and see if they work with acrylic, they should have weld-on and be able to apply it for you. Your foam sounds a little wet, can you adjust the bubble level to get a dryer foam?

Thanks for the weld-on advice...could i use silicone? It is not under pressure.. there must be aquarium safe silicone...they use it in the tank right?...The real isssue is that I just dont know if the cup is supposed to be water tight in the first place...I can totally manipulate the amount of water/foam and get a dry foam or a wet skim...no problem with skimmer...works great...just wonder if collection cup is designed to drip back into chamber..it makes sense on 1 level, as sometimes when you are not home the skim volume can change and with the cup dripping it cant really overflow easily...if the object is to only remove dirty bubbles then maybe its by design.....any have experience with this skimmer? or a similar hang on back? :sfish:

If the cup is plastic I dont think sillycone will work, yes I know I misspelled it, on purpose. I dont know of any skimmers intentionally dripping back like that, its pretty nasty stuff to just go back into the tank water. Most will have a fitting or drain hole in it to allow the user to hook up a tube to a large collection bucket or something.

Seeing that it only drips out of one corner, I kinda suspected that...any suggestions on a sealent? I guess silly cone is out LOL...

Back