Pseudochromis for Reef Tank?

reefraiser

Reefing newb
Well, I am finally adding fish back to our tank and I am seeking some advice. I picked up a yellow tang today and have it in my quarantine tank. Now I am looking for a solution to our quickly growing krill and bristle worm population.

I have been considering pseudochromis. I don't want to spend much money on one and I don't know that yellow would be a good color choice because of our tang. So anyway, I am basically considering the Purple but in the information I was reading this is the only one it fails to say "eats problematic bristle worms." Will the purple pseudochromis eat the bristle worms? Also, is it a good addition to a reef tank? Are there any problems with these fish?

Thanks!

1) Bristleworms aren't problematic. They are probably the best cleaners you can have in your tank. Unless they get to be like 3 feet long, I see no reason to get rid of them.

2) Pseudochromis will eat them, but only the extremely small ones. You will need a much bigger predatorial fish to eat large bristleworms. Arrow crabs are good for that, but they eat everything else that is good for your tank too.

3) If you get rid of the bristleworms, expect your water quality to suffer. That's what they're there for.

4) I'm not sure if I mentioned it yet, but bristleworms do an excellent job of keeping your rock and sand clean of detritus, uneaten food and other harmful buildup.

5) 9 out of 10 dentists recommend bristleworms.

6) Pseudochromis are great for reef tanks, but can be aggressive towards other fish.

;)

Ok, so Biff, you're saying bristleworms are bad then, and to get rid of them at all costs?

Got it. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Back