Pump question

swaquarium

Reefing newb
So I just upgraded from my 90 gallon tank to a 150. My question is on the 90 I was running a mag 7 and it did a great job and was quiet. Unfortunately when I let the 90 go the mag 7 went with it.

Now on the 150 I bought a pump rated about 1200gph at 5' but it was cheap and is far too loud and I am going to replace it. ( only been running 24 hours so I don't know if they quite down with time )

Since the 150 has dual drains / returns I was toying with the idea of instead of running just one pump ( maybe a mag 1200 or Quite one 5000 ) I was thinking of running two independent sumps and return pumps.

My thought is if I run two smaller pumps they should be quieter but give me the same if not better flow.

What's everyone's opinion?

Thanks,

Jeff

I would just get two mag drive's they seem to be the most reiliable and powerful sumersible pump imo. I'm not sure why you want two sumps rather than running one with both the pumps, but two pumps isn't a bad idea considering one will keep running if the other ever happened to quit.

Anything over a 120 gallon I really dont like using submersibles, Externals give alot better head pressure and IMO a much better option on the larger tanks..For externals I would look at, Blue Line or Iwaki, If you have to go with submersible I too would go with a mag drive pump. Like a mag 18.. You could do like I did and use a second drain line to feed a seperate refugium then dump the refugium into the sump and one pump back to the main..

Back