Pumps

putter

Reefing newb
Is there an aquarium pump out there that will handle being dead headed?
I will be running an ATO of some sort, my plan is to pump water from a FW holding bucket to the ATO resivour which of course will be on a float, and of course when the float closes the valve the pump will pressure up and dead head, or will it? Am I way out there? Can anyone toss me names for reliable pumps that will handle that abuse? Thanks again.

there's not any that I know of. that would smoke about any pump you tried to do that with. you will need an electrical float switch that will kick the pump off and on.

:cry: oh well, was a thought, will just have to rethink it...maybe a pressure activated bypass, or and electric switch of some kind as was mentioned.

Yeh may end up doing somthing like that as well and just pack the water to it. How much do you think a 105 gallon tank will loose in a week? Arcylic tank so it will be enclosed on top. I loose about 1 gallon a week from the pigfish tank. I assume that on one as large as the DT will be I will loose more than 5 gallon a week.

I lose 2-3 gallons daily on a 210.Get a controller/float switches that shuts off the pump not close a valve or DIY a gravity fed ATO as Biff suggested.

Back