purchasing new equipment for my 30 gal breeder

Heaters
Of the two chosen I would go with the Jager--- I did a lot of research and found that a lot of people like this one. ( I have a jager 300w and a marine land 400w) However all heaters are prone to failure so I would get a 2nd one to keep on hand. I would also look into getting a separate controller for the heater, the temp controller in the heaters are the part that is prone to brake. The separate controller has much better quality parts.

Circulation pumps
I am running the Aqueon pumps and like them a lot. I also like the fact that they use less power then the others. A lot of other people love the koralia pumps, I would venture to say that they are the most popular of all the circulation pumps.

As far as the fuge goes, I might question why you are looking at such large setups? There are other smaller versions that would do quite well on your 30g. I also noticed that one of them has a skimmer attached to it. My thinking is that it would be better to have a separate skimmer and fuge, both in the hang on versions. The skimmer would in almost all cases be much better quality then the 2 in 1 fuge/skimmer.

Chiller
Again why? In most cases the tank will cool down pretty quickly, with the addition of a clip on fan blowing gently at the surface. I personally wouldn't wast the money on one.

I was looking at CPR's HOB version but my living room is very small so its may not fit width wise in the spot that I selected. I'm going to check to see if I have enough space with the HOB measurements

If I do get one which size should I get for my tank

Small Medium Large?.

http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/aquafuge.html

As far as the chiller, since I have a breeder tank which is very shallow and LED lights I was thinking that between the heaters and the lights its going to overheat the water.

Last edited:
Are you looking at a skimmer as well as the fuge? I am assuming you are planning on just the fuge. In which case I would go as large as you can the extra water will help keep your system more stable. Even if its a matter of 2-3 gallons different on a 30g tank that would be about 10%. My sump shows me evaporating 8-9 gallons a week but I have a much larger water volume. I still think that you will be fine without having a chiller. The best thing would be to build a mesh top that will allow the CO2 to escape from the water ( a major source of heat buildup). Also LEDs run pretty cool, which model are you using? Single bright, double bright, or reef ready? Even with the Reef Ready setup they are only 1w LED's and 27 of them really shouldnt do anything. If you are still worried about the heat, like I had mentioned before using a clip on fan facing the top of the water will work wonders. Ive heard of the temp being lowered as much as 6 degrees. The other thing to keep in mind is the ambient room temp. I keep my house at 67 year round. Most tanks are running at about 78-80. However no matter what you do the temp will fluctuate through out the day, 1-2 deg slowly going up and down really shouldnt matter. I personally would get the tank set up with everything except the chiller and watch the temp for a few weeks as it is cycling. I hope I am helping... Let me know!

I plan on getting a seperate skimmer to put in the fuge.
Do you mean build a mesh top for the main display? wouldn't that cuase evaporation issues? What skimmer do you recommend? I heard the Remora's are pretty good.

I plan on putting as much equipment as possible in the fuge becuase I want a neat display.

You are helping out alot. Thank you.

Yup a mesh top. You will have more evap. but it will be better for the tank in the long run. A lot of people LOVE the Remora, the other brand to check out would be Reef Octopus.

I plan on putting as much equipment as possible in the fuge becuase I want a neat display.
I'm wondering if your terminology is correct?

A sump is a tank underneath your Display Tank, (DT). They are normally used for hiding all the equipment including the skimmer.

A refugium is used for extra filtration, rock, cheto etc. It may be incorporated into the sump but does not need to be included.

The difference really isn't that much when it boils down, but it will help us to give more correct information.

:mrgreen:

So if i want to hide my equipment i need a sump?

Cant i attach a a hob skimmer to the fuge? It would like making the fuge into a mini sump

Sorry i dont think i made much sense in the above post. Basically would like an hob fuge but would like to place the heater, skimmer in the fuge so its not in the DT

I don't see a problem with the heater but I'm concerned with the weight and size of the skimmer. I think the skimmer is going to need to be right on the tank. Of course there is always try it and see how it goes!!!

So if i want to hide my equipment i need a sump?

Cant i attach a a hob skimmer to the fuge? It would like making the fuge into a mini sump

I thought that this is what you were trying to do, I just needed to clarify. The pieces will work either way its just the difference of what you are going to call it.

Last edited:
Back