Purified Drinking water

If your comparing it to tap water, there are no disadvantages at all. The only disadvantage over having your own reverse osmosis unit is when you have your own you are under control of how often you change out the membranes and how good your water quality actually is, but in the store you are just relying on how good they are at it and trusting them. But its still what I do until I buy my own house.

Last edited:
Lots of people use drinking water from the store for their tanks. It's a good alternative to making your own water. If you read the label, it should say "Prepared using reverse osmosis". If it says that, you're good to go.

Sometimes the manufacturer will add minerals in to the water after purifying it, for taste. As far as I know, this shouldn't have an effect on your tank.

Just because it says prepeared with reverse osmosis doesn't really mean its always good to go. If the system isn't maintained by whoever provides the machine the water could not be as good. The best way to test it is with a tds meter. I never have personally I just cross my fingers and hope its taken care of well.

I been using RO out of a culligan machine at wal-mart.Its cheaper than the pre-jugged and has worked good for me.The only disavantage is having to haul 5 gallon water jugs in to feel up.

LOL! You guys are hilarious!!!!

OK, so the next time I walk into my local pet store, I'm going to tell them that I'm there to "feel up"! Awesome advice.... I like it!!!! Hey, just taking words from Yote!!!

Yeah I never thought I would dislike feeling up, but every time I do I'm lugging at least 5-5 gal buckets. Such a pain in the ass.

That's where I work out!

Back