purple algae

Burnsss

Reefing newb
Hey All,

Just the other day some sort of purple stringy algae is all over the place. What he heck is causing this. Also starting using this product called ALGONE suppose to clear water and help with nitrates. But purple stuff is really upsetting me, thanks again guys

sounds like it could be coraline algae, and that what you want because that algae will out compete other unwanted algae's for food in the tank

the purple color sounds like coraline but it is stringy or is it an encrusting kind that is starting to cover the rocks? coraline you want. can you get a pic that would help alot.

sounds like a type of cyano. It may look purple, but its considered 'red'

cyanobacteria-lg.jpg

Looks like cyno to me. Are you using anything for phosphates? What type of food are you using? Frozen is best.

Looks like cyno to me. Are you using anything for phosphates? What type of food are you using? Frozen is best.
piggy of course it looks like cyano because that is a picture of cyano that goodman posted, but the thread starter never posted a pic

Yeah, a pic will help, but my guess would also be cyano = slime algae = bad. This usually is a result of poor water quality and insufficient flow. Chemicals may "treat" it, but unless you address the root causes of the algae, it will just keep coming back.

Back