purple condi anemone

jam

Reefing newb
ok, so i put it in the tank yesterday, and all was good, but i woke up this morning to find it half inside one of the powerheads, i got it out as best i could, but its pretty mangled, it looks a lot better now that its been a while, 1 hour, but it did get hurt pretty bad, what are the chances of it making it, i'm thinking i'll put some fine wire mesh around the powerheads and all that, but what about the anemone, think it'll pull thru??

I had the exact same thing happen a couple months ago. My anemone (a purple tipped condy) was a terrible mess after getting stuck in my filter intake twice within a couple hours. It is doing great now. It took a few days for it to open up properly and probably a week - 10 days for it to look like it was going to be ok but now the only signs of the incident is its color. It was a magnificent white but turned brown from the debris in the filter I assume. It is gradually turning white again but still has a ways to go.
I bet yours will be fine too. My LFS said that this is a common mishap for these guys and that they are tougher then you'd think. They told me that mine should even get it's color back but it may take 3-4 months.
Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Anemones get sucked up into powerheads all the time, unfortunately.

Like others have said, some mesh or sponge covering the intake will help. Hopefully yours heals and gets better.

thanks to all who replied,it looks a hell of a lot better today, almost like the day i got it, so i guess it will heal ok, thanks for telling me about using a sponge, dumb of me not to think of it first!!

Back