Purple-ish grey flatworm. Good or bad???

Piscean

Reefing newb
I just found this really cool flatworm on my LR.. I went in to check it since it's night-time and all the cool creatures come out.

It's grey-ish...with dark purple details.

I'm going to post a pic that I found on the internet...It's looks similar to that, but SLIGHTLY darker!

So, is it good or bad? I heard some are harmless...?

THANKS!

-James

Attachments

• Flatworm_id2.jpg
    Flatworm_id2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 862
Kill it!
But make sure your take it out of your tank first - a new study just found that a flatworm can regenerate from ONE cell!

It's a nasty, one of the bad polyclad flatworm. It will decimate your snail population, hermit crabs and clams if you ever decide to have a clam. For awhile now, I couldn't figure out why my snails were dieing and some of my hermits were gone. Until one night, I saw it fanning out from a tiny 1/4" hole in one of my rocks. Large 2" electric blue knuckle hermit and now I'm wondering if this thing ate my 4 sexy shrimps along with 5 pom pom crabs. Mine happened to be over 1.5" wide and well over 4" long. What's weird is that I had never seen it in the year that this tank has been set up and I constantly look at the tank when moonlights are on or I take a flashlight to look around with all lights off since I've been pulling out any little starfishes off my rocks. I'm pleased to say. It's no longer living in my tank any longer.
*edit*
In the evening they are rather pretty. Gray/lavender with purple spots. But in regular lighting, it will look just like the picture you posted. That one isn't even fully stretch out. LOL

Last edited:
Here is someone else who had the same thing.

QUOTE:
I had a polyclad flatworm that wiped out about 30 snails. I had to tear down half my tank to catch it! Nasty little bugger! Mine was 4 inches long when spread out!
IMG_5050.jpg

Back