Purple tang,idk,maybe....?

OhNoNemo

i love triggers
I do want to get this fish,my LFS has it.It was traded in to him some time ago.I found out it is about 3 or 3.5 years old.I have alway got juvi fish.Is this something you would even worry about.Alot of people get adult fish,..... right?

I try to get smaller fish because then I get to enjoy their existence longer. Its like watching your kids grow up.

My bigger concern would be whether it will harass the others. Purples can be real agressive so if it's the biggest or you have any other tangs from the zebrasoma family it's likely that you'll have a fighter on your hands. If it's not a bully and you keep it healthy, you could have it for a while. You could also buy a juvenile that gets ich and dies in a month.

I agree with you on changing fish ,such as angels and some tangs(chocolate):(,but he looks pretty much the same as he did at an inch.I just don't know if there is any kind of risk involved in getting an older fish.

People with the money usually tend to buy adult fish because they are less likely to have disease or to fall ill. I'd go based on size. If it's 7-8 inches then it's about fully grown and you may prefer to get a slightly younger fish. If its more in the 5" range then I'd say that it's ideal as far as age goes, just make sure that you aren't putting it in with anything too small as they can be real bullies.

Thanks,i've seen it already and its about 4-5 inches.Looks great,and i think i'm getting a decent deal.He'd be in with my humu,angel,pair of ocellaris clowns,flamehawk,and a 6 line.

I had a tang beat up my clowns pretty bad and he could give you trouble with the angel but I'd say that it's the right size and you should try it since you obviously really want the fish. If it doesn't work out you can always take it back for credit towards the next one but you'll never know till you try it. One tang can be a real problem and the next a saint... at least we can assume this one's healthy!

Thanks for you input.I also know he has had his own 75 at the store for 8-9 months now.So,he's used to being alone.I wonder if this could be a problem?I had a chocolate tang for 2 years before i lost him,and he bothered noone.I do want this guy,so i guess i'll roll the dice.

There is a 50/50 chance that he'll be pretty aggressive.Not only with other tangs,but all the other fish.But thats a chance we take with EVERY fish we keep.

There is a 50/50 chance that he'll be pretty aggressive.

I knew that was coming..lol.

It's considered one of the most aggressive tang.Adding it last like you are doing is the best option.My purple is the largest fish in my system and the only tang.She does not bother anybody.She shows a little aggression when you add something new but forgets all above them in a couple of days.

OK,aggression could be an issue here.This may steer me clear of this guy.Yes,its 50/50,i know,but it seems the more i read its more like 80/20...Plus he's an adult set in his own ways, now i'm thinking ,maybe another trigger.Perhaps a pint tail,or even a niger.IDK.Any thoughts on 2 triggs together??My humu is still pretty small,1.5 maybe 2 inches.Today is the day ,so who knows, maybe something else will pop out at me.I guess i'm open to some suggestions also....Thanks

Back