PVC pipes as overflows

BL1

How efficient/practical is using a PVC pipe into a bulk head in the bottom of the tank for an overflow? I've been thinking about moving my nano-cube into a rimless 40g but, I want to make it so that you can walk around the whole thing and not see any of the plumbing, overflows. What do you guys think?

the thing id worry about is making sure the bottom of your tank isent temperd glass or else when you go to drill a hole the whole bottom will shatter. the outher thing id wory about is makeing sure its sealed vary well and you have some kind of extra support for the bottom of the tank to prvent it from bowing and breaking

The tank would be custom made from a local retailer so they'd drill the holes for me and if I get it I'll be making the stand myself so it will definitely have more then enough support.

PVC does great as a standpipe. In my first acrylic tank I used two pvc standpipes. The only problem I had was that they are loud so just make sure your plans include a muffler and it will work great! One additional thought... If you are only planning on one, if it ever plugs, you will have a flood. :-)

also your planing on just running a pipe to w/e you want water line to be with a screen on it or w/e and then a 2nd hole for the return. one more thing id think about is building a acrylic support for the pipe that goes half way up and can say act as a stand for live rock or w/e. only reason i say this this is because if to much preasure gets pushed side to side on the top of the pipe it might beak the glass also. kind of like a breaker bar to get a bolt loose. you will have to post some plans when you get some :)

Thanks, that makes sense Pwny.
PVC does great as a standpipe. In my first acrylic tank I used two pvc standpipes. The only problem I had was that they are loud so just make sure your plans include a muffler and it will work great! One additional thought... If you are only planning on one, if it ever plugs, you will have a flood. :-)

What does the muffler look like?

The best way to do a tank for four sided viewing is do an island overflow in the middle.Say six inches square with a standard durso pipe drain to the sump.If you bump up the size of the tank a little you can do a larger island.My friend jon has a 3 foot x3 foot 20 inches tall with a 10x10 island.He was able to fit a 1 inch drain a 1 inch emergency drain 1 inch return and a 2 inch pipe for power cords for the two power heads.he had his custom built and they used 1/2 glass for the bottom because of the close proximity of the 4 holes drilled in it.I think i wanna build one now. They used black silicone sealant on the corners looks awesome

The best way to do a tank for four sided viewing is do an island overflow in the middle.Say six inches square with a standard durso pipe drain to the sump.If you bump up the size of the tank a little you can do a larger island.My friend jon has a 3 foot x3 foot 20 inches tall with a 10x10 island.He was able to fit a 1 inch drain a 1 inch emergency drain 1 inch return and a 2 inch pipe for power cords for the two power heads.he had his custom built and they used 1/2 glass for the bottom because of the close proximity of the 4 holes drilled in it.I think i wanna build one now. They used black silicone sealant on the corners looks awesome

Unfortunately, I'm limited for space and trying to keep this a nano build so I can't go bigger then 24x24. Which unfortunately keeps me from building an overflow in the middle because there wont be much space for rockwork without crowding the sides of the tank.

Yeah thats the problem with a small 4 sided tank but if you get some nice dry rock and some shelf rock you can epoxy the rock together dry around the pipes before you fill it with water.That what i'm gonna do.I think i will build my own acrylic 4 sided tank

Back