Quarantine Tank Help

jrock4411

Reefing newb
Hey Gang.....

I have a coral beauty in my tank that looks like it was rolled around in a fine white dust. It looks like coral reef disease as opposed to ich based on pics I've seen online. I just got my set up a week ago and didnt have a hospital tank, but I just went out and got a 15g tank with 8lbs of live rock and a 2 inch sand base. I plan to use it to keep my CB in until it clears up. My Royal Gramma is also diving to the bottom and rubbing on the rocks, so I was tghinking of putting him in quarantine as well though he has ni spots.

Tabnk is set up and cycling, I'm going to check the levels after 24hrs. Anything I should be doing in the meantime? Does the q-tank need hermits or snails? I have a coral banded shrimp, a cleaner shrip and a green sarron shrimp, should I put one of those in for clean up?

O, I'm using a garlic based medication for starters, I was hoping to avoid all the potential problems of copper based meds.

I know I'm asking a lot at once, as always, any feedback would be great. J

How long has your display been running? Garlic is only a preventative that help increase your fishes immune system, so they can fight off deseases it will not cure or kill any parasites.

If you are going to treat with any medications do not put any inverts into the hospital tank, it is best to run them bare bottom with plastic places to hide. That way the meds will work properly.

Yet again my LPS has given me bad advice! I bout the rock abd the substrate based on their recommendation. I figured the more sterile enviroment the better, but they told me it should be set up as a regular tank. Should I take out teh new sand and LR and move it to my main tank?

As winyfrog says you can leave your inverts in the DT. I don't know anything about coral reef disease but it sounds like ich not seeing a pic. If it is indeed ich you need to put all of your fish in the QT and let the DT go fallow (fishless) for at least 8 weeks.

You don't want any sand in the QT just some PVC pipe or other fake decorations for the fish to hide in/around

So, I have a 15 gallon hospital tank set up with sand and rock cycling now, should I move everything into it? I'll post pics of the coral beauty tonight after work. It's very tiny white spots, better seen at night. Been there 2 days. I have a starfish, 3 shrimp and 3 anemones in my main tank.

Yet again my LPS has given me bad advice! I bout the rock abd the substrate based on their recommendation. I figured the more sterile enviroment the better, but they told me it should be set up as a regular tank. Should I take out teh new sand and LR and move it to my main tank?

Hospital tank: bare bottom, plastic decorations (I use PVC pipe) for fish to hide.
This way you can treat with a copper based med which is the only true way to kill
ich which is a parasite (invert) You will not want to put snails etc. in there because
it will kill them. Your fish will need to be treated for 3-6 weeks with no other fish
being introduced during there treatment.
Quarintine tank: Can be set up just like your regular tank, only you use this method to observe your fish make sure they are eating and don't come down with a desease that can spread to your other fish. In this type of environment you can put inverts in because you won't be using medications.

um one week and you have a coral beauty in there. Ok I hate to be a downer but the chances of it living are pretty slim.:shock: Your tank cant have cycled yet and cb isnt the toughest fish out there. I added one when I was 2 months in got same thing you described and he died. My tank was cycled though. Your cb is way stressed out. For two reasons 1 you just added him 2 water quality. As far a a qt tank just run one bare bones no substrate no rock just something he can hide in. cheap aquarium deco would work or a flower pot on it side. That way if you have to medicate in it to kill ich or whatever when its done you just discard water and clean tank. I keep my qt empty until just before i go to get a fish. I just use a hob filter for it and put some lr rubble or a sponge from my main filter in it so it has bio in it.

Hmmmmm, thanks Ted......

Some things I didn't mention....

My set up was purchased set up from someone who had run it for 3 years. We moved it intact. Having said that, I get the feeling the person I bought it from either lied or didn't know what was going on.

I bought the cb and put it in without a quarantine period, which was foolish on my part (I'm new to this, clearly). I'm basing what I'm doing going forward on this forum and my saltwater handbook. This is what makes me think it's coral reef disease as opposed to ich, which seems to present bigger than this.

I guess I'm going home now to empty my tank and clean out that new sand I spent $50 on. I can use the live rock in the main tank as I'm a little shy anyway.

Continued advice, no matter how terrible, is appreciated.

So, I have a 15 gallon hospital tank set up with sand and rock cycling now, should I move everything into it? I'll post pics of the coral beauty tonight after work. It's very tiny white spots, better seen at night. Been there 2 days. I have a starfish, 3 shrimp and 3 anemones in my main tank.
Ok is this tank only a week old? Not the 15 gal but the dt. If it is omg If the lfs is selling you all this stuff find a different lfs. I hate to say it but with a tank just being cycled all this stuff is gonna die. Starfish and shrimp cant handle ammonia spikes heck none of that stuff can. And anemones are way hard to keep. You have to have a aged perfect tank with intense lighting to keep them. Tank should be at least a year old before anemones.

After reading Ted's post I just realized that your sig says 1 week :shock:. You might want to consider trying take your fish back to the LFS for credit.

What are your water parameters in the main tank? If your going to try and tackle the task of treating your fish your going to want to monitor your water parameters very closely. You also need to decide on what your going to do to treat your fish. I'm assuming that you've got a case of ich. Are you going to treat with hypo salinity, copper, or some other means?

Wishing you luck, and just post if you need more advice.

I moved it from the original owner a week ago, but they told me that it was set up for 3 years prior. We moved it intact, drained half the water out and moved it slowly to my place. It's a 50g tank. From what I've seen of established tanks, it's not 3 years old.

Hmmmmm, thanks Ted......

Some things I didn't mention....

My set up was purchased set up from someone who had run it for 3 years. We moved it intact. Having said that, I get the feeling the person I bought it from either lied or didn't know what was going on.

I bought the cb and put it in without a quarantine period, which was foolish on my part (I'm new to this, clearly). I'm basing what I'm doing going forward on this forum and my saltwater handbook. This is what makes me think it's coral reef disease as opposed to ich, which seems to present bigger than this.

I guess I'm going home now to empty my tank and clean out that new sand I spent $50 on. I can use the live rock in the main tank as I'm a little shy anyway.

Continued advice, no matter how terrible, is appreciated.
Oh ok thank god. sorry if i seemed rough but I have run into people at some lfs that are buying all that stuff with a tank sitting in the back of the truck dry. I just hate it when I kill a fish (which happens) and hate to see other people make the same mistakes that I have. Are you testing your water? Did you get a mini cycle when you moved the tank? sometimes that happens. doesnt last as long as the first cycle but can take a week or so.

Ted, no problem at all. My wife and I went from the euphoria of having something we always wanted to the sudden realizatuion that we haven't a clue what we are doing. We've been researching around the clock and barely sleeping to keep everyone alive.

I believe I did get a mini cycle. We did a 60% water change (mismeasured a 50%) and all levels went to where they should be within 48 hrs. Things seem fine now, we are water testing twice a day.

I set up the new 15gallon tank that I intended to use to sepearte my cb. I was going to wait until the levels went normal and put the cb in, but now I'll need to start from scratch from teh sounds of things. Laid out $300 for 15g tank, lr and sand with garlic medicine. Stupid.

Now I have a 50 gallon tank that seems diseased and a 15 galloon cycling at home. Still having fun,but this is one steep learning curve :)

My overcrowded tank.... maybe I can transfer some of these to the 15g that I'm cycling once I get the issue with the cb figured out?

Yellow Tang
Clownfish
Zebra Damsel
Royal Gramma (rubbing itself on rock and sand)
Yellow Tailed Damsels (2)
Coral Banded Shrimp (just molted)
Pink Tip Aneonome (Baby, 1)
Cleaner Shrimp
Green Saron Shrimp (just molted)
Firefish Gobie (need another)
Brown Rock Worm w/ Featherdusters
Pink Tip Aneonome (Medium, 2)
Hermit Crabs (10)
Coral Beauty (this is my sick one, has very fine white spots all over and hangs out bu the cleaner a lot).

Back